Monday, March 14, 2011

Kids...what's the matter with kids today?

Why can't they be like we were, perfect in every way?

I used to hate it when my mom sang that song!

Generally, I think I do a good job raising my children...GENERALLY! I have taught them to use please and thank you. I have taught them to share, be nice to others, pray, etc. My children have also picked up on things (mostly my attitude) that I could do without. They (Lilly especially) talk to Aaron using sarcasm when they should not, but they have watched me do it and consequently, they think it's alright. When they're tired they act like monsters and sometimes they fight, they are certainly not perfect.

This weekend we were in line behind an elderly woman at the grocery store. The cashier rang her out and I asked Lilly to help me carry her bags out to her car. She said no! I don't want to Mommy! She shied away when I extended my arm with a couple of light bags for her to hold. My precious little girl did not want to help this lady. I gave her the "you better do this now or you will not attend the party you think you're going to this afternoon" look and she reluctantly grabbed the bags. I wanted to grab her by the ear and make her carry every single bag to the ladies car! I was furious.

I am a service oriented person, I give of my time and services whenever possible. Why does my six year old pick up on my attitude and other attributes that I could do without so easily, but tell me no when I ask her to help an elderly woman? In Lilly's defense we had just spent an hour with another elderly lady in the community and she was polite, well spoken and fully engaged in the conversation the entire visit. Still, I could not wait to get my dear, sweet child in the car so that I could discuss her poor attitude.

Angrily, I asked her why she did not want to help the lady? I don't know her mom! She's a stranger. Ughhhhh...I was so mad at my daughter when she told me no! So mad. After I calmed down and listened to her reasoning I could understand her hesitation and why she was uncomfortable with my simple request. I explained that it is alright to help and talk to strangers when Mommy or Daddy asks her to talk to them. I explained that it would be very difficult for the elderly lady to make multiple trips out to her car to load her groceries and that we were there and more able to load the groceries for her. That it is always a good thing to help people in need, even if they are strangers.

After reflection, I can't help but to think about how sad it is that we have to teach our children not to talk to strangers. We have them so frightened because of all the possible bad outcomes if they do talk to strangers, that she didn't want to help me carry out groceries for a sweet old lady. I guess they can't be like we were (perfect in every way) because of the times we live in! Dangerous people are around every corner, so I'm certainly not going to give her the green light to talk to strangers, but hopefully she will be caring enough the next time I ask her to help carry the groceries...and to do it with a smile on her pretty little face. I suppose nothing is wrong with kids today, just the world we live in! Before instantly being infuriated with my childrens reactions to my requests, I should probably take the time to ask them why!

No comments:

Post a Comment