Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Challenge!

My favorite challenge question this week out of my lenten journey book was to find a "life verse/passage". A passage that you can turn to when you need to put yourself in check. I have a feeling that most of the members of my book club with probably choose a psalm or another verse on hope or love. I have this notion because as I think of all the faces I will see tonight, I think of warm, caring, nurturing people that probably don't have to ask for forgiveness very often. Since the book club memebers only see the smiling mom on Sunday mornings that calmly asks her three rambunctious children to please stop spitting on her, don't stand on the pew, stop yelling during the prayer time, take a deep breath as her coffee spills all over the floor, etc etc etc!!! I could probably state that my life verse was one of hope or love too, but since I have made the commitment to the book club to strengthen my relationship with God, I'll keep it real!

As I looked at different passages, I thought about a conversation that I had this weekend with a friends sister. I don't know the pretty, annoyingly skinny, young lady that well. On the occasions that we hang out with her, I am always cordial and pleasant to her and thought we had a mutual respect for each other. Yet, while we were sitting at the table and I was harassing her (we were playing a game and everyone was talking smack) she bluntly told me that she was not intimidated by me and to shut my mouth! She is not the first person that has referred to me as intimidating, but thought to myself, why in the world would she think of me as intimidating? She is fun, has a killer body, lots of friends...I would think most people would think SHE was intimidating! Still, quite a few people have used this word to describe me! I suppose it is better than the former word that was often associated with my name (starts with a b;))!

Since I don't really think I'm a bully or someone to be feared, the only way I can justify this description is that I must seem over-confident and that this confidence can be intimidating. I have always been a confident person. Of course I have times of self-doubt and poor self image, but as a rule, I believe in myself and my abilities. Please note that I do not think that confidence is a bad attribute, but I don't want people to fear me either! When Jess told me she was not intimidated by me, I was offended. I told her that I don't try to intimidate people, so I'm glad that she is not intimidated by me!

As I think about life passages, passages that force me to look in the mirror and reflect on the person staring back in the glass,I thought about what attributes I portray that can use some attention and work. I looked for a passage that offered a few reminders to me: humility, the importance of putting others before self, and the ultimate sacrifice that should never be forgotten. When I am feeling uber confident, I can turn to this life passage and remember to be meek and mild, not arrogant or prideful. It is because of God that I have the honors that I do, that I am blessed with what I have and it is because of Jesus and his ultimate sacrifice that I can be forgiven for the many mistakes I have made along the way! A reminder to me to be self effacing rather than self serving!

I challenge you to find your life passage if you do not have one already! This is mine!

Philippians 2:3-11 (New International Version, ©2011)
3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.

5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:

6 Who, being in very nature[a] God,
did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
7 rather, he made himself nothing
by taking the very nature[b] of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
8 And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
by becoming obedient to death—
even death on a cross!

9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11 and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

1 comment:

  1. As predicted, the group selected Psalms and verses on hope and love:) Loved Nan and her calling herself Martha...she is so cute! I am so happy I joined the group:)

    ReplyDelete