Tuesday, April 16, 2013

I have it.

After the mammogram and ultrasound, I was worried, but I didn't really know true worry until the next day.  Jo, my favorite nurse at the gynocologists office called. (She pretends that I'm going to weigh in under 150 every time I step on the scale and the other B knows I'm going to be over that mark...it's the little things, ya know!?)  She asked if the radiologist went over my results with me.  I told her that yes, he informed me that he would like me to have further testing which included multiple biopsies and a chest MRI.  She continued to read from my report "Highly suspicious of malignancy, Birad 5".

And I stopped listening.  I started to research.  I have an online PhD if you didn't know that. Cancer terminology isn't new or confusing because I know it already.  The Birad scale is what radiologists use to tell the surgeons how concerning the lumps are.  The only thing higher than a five is a six...you can't score a six until it's confirmed by a biopsy.

EFF.

I went to Ashley's to workout after working all day.  Working out usually makes me a little less stressed.  I was looking forward to a hug and lots of sweat.  But, as I was pulling in, my general practioner called.  He knows me and knows that I like it straight.  Doesn't sugar coat because it'll just piss me off. 

He told me to prepare to fight.  They don't score a patient a 5 unless they are pretty darn sure.  He would recommend radical treatment. 

Jokingly I asked him for some Xanax. 

Quickly he responded: Laura, you might need some.  Please call if you do.

4/9/13
--------------------------------------------------------------

The next day I met with a surgeon.  She was more optimistic, but did not shy away from the very real possiblity of malignancy either.  She answered questions as to why they believe it to be cancerous: Shape, dimensions, lymph activity.  All the things I know all to well.

We planned to meet her the next day for a needle biopsy with ultrasound guiding of two masses and a lymph node.  We all tried to remain positive, but we know this all to well.  We've been down this road before.

4/10/13
--------------------------------------------------------------

I went to work the morning of the biopsy.  I did not complete one single task.  NOT ONE.   I starred at a blank computer screen or I researched breast cancer.

I arrived for the biopsy ready to go.  Ready to get this show on the road.  The surgeon was great.  Quick in and out.  It hurt, but no tears.  I'm tough.  I can do this.  I'm going to own this.

And then it was all over and one of the nurses, trying to comfort me-no doubt, said: "Wouldn't it be a great surprise if it wasn't cancer!?" 

All of the sudden, it was real.  I couldn't breathe.  I felt dizzy.  Tears started streaming down my face, but I tried to keep it together.  They asked if I was able to sit up and I thought to myself: I ran 4 miles a couple days ago, of course I can freaking sit up!! But when I sat up I felt dizzier.  I had to lay back down.  They had to get me orange juice and blankets and tell me to breathe.  I looked yellow...I felt black and blue.

They patiently worked overtime for me and told me to take my time.  They let me sit for my mammogram this time because they didn't want me to pass out.  The mammogram hurt this time.  The numbing agent didn't account for my anxiety attack and after a bunch of needles are poked into your breast and you don't take the pictures while your breasts are still numb, the mammogram hurts a little more. 

My first panic attack.  I survived.  I'm still on the fence about meds and I have been ok since.  Teary eyed and distant, but ok.

4/11/13

Now more waiting. 

4/16/13

The waiting is over. I have invasive ductal carcinoma with lymph nodes that test positive. 

I have breast cancer. 

I'm ready.  I am ready to fight.  I've been ready to fight for a few weeks now, but I've been waiting for confirmation that it's time.

I have flowers.  I have loving, supportive family ready to fight with me.  I have more friends than one single person could possibly ask for.

All I need now is prayer. 

Big, bold, noisy prayers.  The kind of prayers that drop you to your knees.  That kind.  That's all I need.

I'm ready.  Let's fight.



 
Trying to show a friend that I was ok before meeting with the surgeon;)

I'm a warrior.  I can do this....EXCEPT.  I turned yellowish-green when the nurse just assumed it is the stupid effing C word.  When I changed back into the Warrior Dash shirt, I didn't feel like a warrior and I noticed the title of the magazine...LIVING WITH CANCER.

Part of my war wound...


Hey, can you come out tonight?  I need to go out.  Yep, we'll be there.

Love my golden girls.  Pampering was just what I needed.


12 comments:

  1. Laura, I have a large family, who each have large families; You are being prayed for like no other!! We are storming Heaven's gate with prayers for you; for your family; for your medical team and for your SPIRIT! I can safely say that you will be supported by more individuals than you can imagine. Why?, because you are always the biggest prayer warrior; best cheerleader; comforter and junk food enabler a person could ever have. You are Loved, so plz allow those that a near be there for you and for those that are not so close, to worry, encourage and pray for you, plz, no "I'm fine".
    Gentle hugs, Tina (one of your Momma's besties.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. your newest prayer warrior ready to run with you Laura! lifting you up today and each day. reach out to us whenever you need prayers and we will go to the throne for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am praying for you girl!! You have the right attitude; fighters are survivors. Ain't nothin' gonna hold you down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura your a fighter and you won't believe how you have it in you! I found out I had breast cancer in 2006 and it was the worst time of my life, but just knowing I have family and friends behind me got me through and the most important thing is prayer! I've learned one thing from having cancer and it's I've grown closer to God than I ever had before. I'll never forget when Tiffany and Mike walked into the house and told me I was going to be a grandma and I just found out I had breast cancer, and all I could think about was I have a fight to win because I was going to be a grandma. I will have you in my prayers and if you ever need someone to talk to I'm always here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, this is a friend of a friend sending big bold prayers from Little Rock, Arkansas :) Also, theres an amazing organization called Imerman Angels, you should check it out. They'll pair you up with someone who is around your age, had the same type of cancer as you, fought it and won. It was hugely helpful for a friend of mine who had a great support system, but just wanted someone who could competely relate to everything she was going through. And its free.

    http://www.imermanangels.org/

    sending prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your blog through Abbie's Facebook posting. My prayers are with you and your family. (Samantha Lake Latkovic)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Laura. Found your blog thru facebook. I will pray with all my might for you. You are a fighter, you got this. Sennding positive vibes your way :) (Katie Potridge (Pershing)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Laura--- I just saw on facebook. I just started getting on it more.... as like you, I gave it up for lent. You gave me that idea by the way..... Laura, I will fight with you and for you and forever until you beat this and you will. You are an amazing person and so kind and caring. It always means so much to me that you include me when you talk about cancer and fighting for us to beat it. Now its my turn to help you, like you helped me. I want to say I know what you are going through but I know its so different for everyone when they hear those words. but I believe in a sense we all have that same feeling as soons as they say it. I know we havent seen eachother in awhile or heard eachothers voices but I just want you to know I will be hear for you like you for me. And I mean it. I will put you on prayer lists right now. You can contact me anytime, day or night. Lots of Love and prayers ---- with love, Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  9. I only know you by word of mouth know this you will be in my families prayers and the tears I have are fear I can't imagine nor fathom what you now have to live I can only empathise and continue to ask God to hear the prayers in your name

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laura, I know you will beat this! I will pray for you everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Laura, I've never met you, but I saw this through facebook, and lately blogs have been interesting to me. I almost didn't read it because its 7:30am, and I thought, it's supposed to be a sunny day, why would I want to get depressed? But I feel better after reading your posts. You write beautifully and I am sure you are a beautiful person as well. I wish you the best in your journey. Lately my family has been through some hard things, and I've always thought everything happens for a reason, but something so bad? That can't be right...but it is. You're sent to complete this journey for one reason or another and one day, you'll look back and think, yes! That was the reason I was diagnosed with the "BC" word. I am praying for you. I hope that you find peace each day and remember, God doesn't give you anything that you can't handle, but he does give you just enough to feel like you can't take it anymore. Stay strong, you're a fighter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Laura,

    You are in my thoughts and prayers! Your positive attitude is amazing! You are so strong! Keep that warrior spirit alive!

    Constantly praying,

    Jennifer (Weaver) Ferrari

    ReplyDelete