Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Addicted to Facebook

During the lent season many Christians make sacrifices that they normally would not make. Some of the offerings my friends have decided on include: no pop, to quit biting their nails, no sweets, no fast food, no shopping, dedicated time each day/week to the Bible and probably my favorite is the conscious decision to pay it forward! Nan, Amy and Marci have all decided to pay it forward. I am fairly certain that those that have decided to pay it forward will obtain a greater reward than the people that they pay it forward to because it is so easy to feel God's presence when you lend a helping hand. I hope the other offerings that don't offer instant gratification will be equally rewarding at the end of the lent season as well. I hope it brings each of those who made a commitment to resist, dedicate time or pay it forward closer in their relationship with God.

Personally, I thought very hard on what I should sacrifice. With the sense of renewed faith that I feel, I wanted to do something that would be difficult for me. I log into facebook all day long! ALL DAY! And then once I put the kids to bed I log on AGAIN! It's crazy! After Easter I am going to commit to only logging on once a day and limit the time to 15-30 minutes and only 30 minutes if I am purposefully responding to an email. If I can't keep it to that, I'm just being nosey! I honestly do try to post positive things and it is a great tool to keep in contact with your friends and family, but to spend so much time on "social networking" is really just a waste of time. I have many things I should be doing rather than snooping on facebook!

The part that is bolded is what I WOULD have posted on Facebook!

Day 1: It has not even been 24 hours and it is driving me CRAZY to not have checked my facebook account!! It helps knowing that people can't comment on my page (even though I know they are commenting on each others pages about me because I did a test run this weekend and a few of my friends are loving the fact that I can't read what they write;)!) This is going to be a very long Lent season. In past years I have given up pop, caffeine, fast food, and I can't remember the rest...this is going to be MUCH more difficult!

Day 2: My will be done or Thy will be done...think about which statement is true in your life. Had a LOVELY time at the new book club I joined for lent! I would even venture to say that because of this devotional time I will not miss facebook while I'm at home...at work, different story! Collect treasures of secrets with God, not worldly treasures that you can't take with you to heaven. Be repentant for your sins. I hope my lack of Biblical knowledge isn't too obvious to some of the elders in our church, but I am there to learn, and I think this is a great group to learn from. It is a small group full of faces that I remember from childhood, the pure honest faces that you never forget (one of the ladies reminds me of my Aunt Con):)"All real healing is painful, full of relinquishment and loss. Only death can give life; only darkness light." Thomas R. Steagald Pastor Jen is giving up worry amongst other sacrifices...I think this is a great one!! I am not a worrier, so it wouldn't be a sacrifice for me, but wish I could log on to fb to tell a couple of my friends to give it up!! Can't wait to see The Color Purple with my Mom tonight!

Day 3: The Color Purple was AMAZING! The singers were great, the company was the best and I left feeling determined. I love music. I love to listen, watch people perform and sing at the top of my lungs! Even though Aaron only had a few hours of sleep in 36 hours he stayed up to see me. I asked him what he was doing awake and he said he was just missing me...I hate the off shift weeks...5 days off to reconnect with my husband:) Get to see the Lowry's for one of our last visits before they move to TX:( Not missing fb yet! No smokes yet either...Saturday will be the first test! Oh, but I did have to watch the news like the olden days to see if school was delayed! Normally I would know from fb, but today I didn't want to wake Aaron up and actually watched the schools scroll on the bottom of the television!! Praying for the victims of the tsunami...yet another reminder to live like there is no tomorrow!

Day 4: So excited to play bunco with Ron, my lover, and many of my bestest friends tonight:) And meet some more of Christina's wild and crazy family:) And go to Jo's for some Karaoke of course!!

Day 5: So much fun at Thatchers. Except everyone was having conversations about things I would know if I had been on fb...it is my source for news!! Everyone was very quick to point out that I would know what was going on if I did not give up facebook! So much fun that Aaron let me sleep in (all the way until 9)...then we had to rush around to prepare for the visitors:) Family time with Aaron's cousins all day! Zims and company were great!

Day 6: It is getting much easier to resist the temptation to log on to fb!...my computer history doesn't automatically go to facebook when I type in www. so that's a good sign:) And I am also happy to report that I did not have any cigarette's this weekend after multiple drinks:) No actual posts today-talked with Christie about people's dumb posts...this would be a dumb post:) So happy that Pastor Jen remembered to email me her sermon and the video that she and Grant put together...so happy I decided to cross back across the street to the Methodist Church.

Day 7: The Lenten Journey with Jesus book that I'm reading is keeping me occupied at home during my free time. Not missing facebook at all at home. Still missing the distraction at work. I have received a few emails from facebook spies to pass my day:)PS: DSW has some great boots on clearance:) WYO REVERSE RAFFLE TICKETS FOR SALE...$40/ticket admits two for pop, beer, food, FUN April 16, 2011 Legion Hall

2 comments:

  1. WYO website says tickets are $35 for two?

    Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are $40. The website will be changed soon. I have tickets if anyone needs them!

    ReplyDelete