Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Jenni's Challenge Day 24

Something you've learned

When I did the lent Bible study, I took time to actually learn this scripture about treasures in heaven. Matthew 6:19-24

My favorite verse is the first:

19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal."


I don't think it was a focus scripture in the lent book, but my attention was drawn to it because of one of the book club members. I can't remember if it was Nan or Wilma, both are women that I love more and more each and every time our paths cross, but I would be willing to bet that they both feel the same way about the scripture, so it really doesn't matter which one said it anyways! Whoever it was said that they hope that by the time they are called to be with God that they don't have any talents, any gifts, anything left of them to give. They want to be all "used up" and have already given themselves fully to God.

I was speechless. I wanted to read more about this passage. I had to know what they were talking about! Since then I have read this lesson on many occasions. Applied the lesson to multiple different problems at hand.

The position that I receive a paycheck from is as a paralegal at a law firm. More than half of my assignments deal with the administration of estates. When people pass away it is necessary to obtain an attorney to deal with the estate taxes, the probate process and all the forms that must be completed. This is why it is necessary to have an attorney, but sometimes the attorney turns into a referee!

Often the loved ones left here to mourn the deceased argue over money and property. Disputes over money and personal items of value seem to happen all to often if you ask me! Even down to the brooch Granny was wearing at a special occasion. Sometimes it takes everything inside of me not to scream "Hello!! You know that you can't take that thing with you when you go, right!?! The memory of Granny wearing that brooch, yep, you can take it with you, but the $7 brooch that you're fighting with your loved one about, NOPE, can't take it!" This kind of treasure we may see today, but when we get old and die we cannot take it with us.


I have never really been materialistic. I don't like to shop. I have never really felt like I need to keep up with my friends. I like to spend money on things that make me and those around me happy, don't get me wrong, but I understand that you can't take all of your "prize possessions" with you. I didn't ask for anything when my dad passed away and neither did my brother. My mom happily handed out my dads clothes to family members that would appreciate the gesture. She offered his watch to Jake and Aaron, but they knew they wouldn't wear it so they respectfully declined. Why? Because you can't take the worldly treasures with you. If you are focused on collecting money and worldly possessions that is where your heart will be, devoted to the wrong master.

I have since decided to be more conscious to send my treasures to heaven. Give of myself and my time more freely. This morning I stopped at Meijer to grocery shop for the office, you know COFFEE and other essentials. Whether I am grocery shopping for work or myself, I am on a mission...mission to get out of the store as quickly as possible! As I was throwing items from the shelf into my cart I noticed an elderly man struggling to get a few containers of laundry detergent into his riding cart. I could have easily passed by him and went on my way. I could have pretended that I didn't see him struggling. I could have thought to myself, someone else will pass by and help him.

BUT, this moment is the type of treasure that you can take with you to heaven! It took me 5 seconds to move a box and grab the detergent he was struggling to get into his cart. He looked up and smiled at me when he thanked me. I looked down the aisle beside me and Linda Kelly was smiling at me, too. Everyone went on with their day, but we all shared that one treasure. During those 5 seconds that I could have grabbed another item off the shelf, instead we all took the time to smile and greet each other as we passed. That time was spent focused on helping others and that is the type of treasure you get to bring with you. It didn't cost me ANYTHING! My muscles are sore today, but not from picking up his detergent;)

To me this scripture implies that what we value the most is where your heart is. Think about it. Are your thoughts on worldly possessions or on God?

I am thankful to the lent book group for bringing this passage to my attention. Now when I am debating the solution to a problem I often ask myself, where is your heart focused? Is the focus on earth or heaven? I want my treasures sent to heaven because 24 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money."

Maybe you could send your treasures stored in a balloon!! This picture is from a balloon launch in 2010 in memory of Mary Ann Kirkby.

No comments:

Post a Comment