Monday, August 20, 2012

Embrace uncertainty

So I *might have let a few tears fall this morning when I was talking to my Mommy.  It's possible that I am feeling a little overwhelmed to hear that our renter doesn't want to resign a lease.  The super high utility bill, school starting, vehicle repairs, the expensive airfare and now the thought of two mortgages on top of everything else could be enough to spur a panic attack.  The fact that I have been looking forward to a week of staycation with my family for a while now, but God had different plans and a week with my husband simply isn't in them could set me into a tailspin.

BUT

I'm not going to let it!

I refuse to feel sorry for myself.   Not when others have it so much more difficult than I do .  Not when I know that others are struggling with even bigger problems than I am.  This time, I'm going to resist my urge to dye my hair brown and hide behind fake smiles.  I am not going to surrender to the temptation to be depressed about circustances that are beyond my control.   It's so easy to slip into the negative nancy mindset, but I've been thinking about how to avoid this pitfall most of the day.


“Embrace relational uncertainty. It's called romance. Embrace spiritual uncertainty. It's called mystery. Embrace occupational uncertainty. It's called destiny. Embrace emotional uncertainty. It's called joy. Embrace intellectual uncertainty. It's called revelation.”
Mark Batterson, In a Pit with a Lion on a Snowy Day: How to Survive and Thrive When Opportunity Roars

I'm going to embrace the uncertainty.  I'm deciding to concentrate on the good instead focusing on the bad.   If we lose renters, maybe we will find a buyer!  Aaron will get to spend some quality time with his Dad and brother; time that he will remember forever and rarely makes otherwise.   My babies can't wait to have Mommy for the rest of the week all to themselves.  Camille said it will be the best week of the summer!  I can't be sad because they need me to bring my best.  They deserve my best.

Join me? Embrace uncertainty!

Rest in Peace, Grandpa Strong



*might-totally had to hang up the phone to avoid sobbing

3 comments:

  1. :/ I'm praying for you guys. I hate uncertainty, but have found that I've begun to deal with it better as I age. I just kind of feel like...who has time to be bummed out about what *might* happen? And, also? It takes a lot of energy to dwell on the what-could-be's. And with age also comes being old and tired...so...no energy for depression. The only good thing about being bummed out and depressed is that it's an excuse to wear yoga pants. But...really...who needs an excuse :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and your freaking yoga pants!!! Lol! I only own one pair...maybe that's my problem;) thanks though;)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete