Saturday, August 4, 2012

Hey! How was your weekend?

What's the first question asked by your co-workers on a Monday morning?

Friday I stayed home because Camille wasn't feeling well.   By late morning her fever was gone and she was feeling alright so we decided to keep our evening plans with friends.  Aaron was going to drive a couple of us out to the winery. 

When he pulled in from work, he opened the van door to retrieve something and this is where our fun begins:)

HHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
SWISHSWISHSWISHSWISHSWISHCREAKSWISHCREAKSWISHCREAKCREAKCREAKCREAK
LIGHTSONLIGHTSOFFLIGHTSONLIGHTSOFFLIGHTSONLIGHTSOFLIGHTSONLIGHTSOFFLIGHTON

Our van (WHICH WILL BE PAID OFF IN DECEMBER!!!!!) has decided to take on its own personality...I'm pretty sure it's a she.  I've never really been into naming cars, but she's a bitch with a serious attitude!  She has decided that she wants to throw a tantrum whenever she's in the mood!

Yesterday it was because Aaron opened her door!  That's it!  He didn't ask her to bring us anywhere!  He didn't ask her to be patient while he washed the dirt off of her...he just opened her freaking door and she went ballistic!! She would not stop with the horn.  The entire neighborhood could hear her, I'm sure!  (Not like when I drive her and beep at people, like seriously she would not stop!) I'm positive her wipers could not possibly swishswish any faster!  After a couple swishswishes the wipers were mad at her and started creaking instead of swishing!  Her lights were turning on and off.  I watched from the computer room as Aaron tried to find the fuse box to disconnect at least her horn!  She finally grew tired of her tantrum and shut down.

Graciously, our friends offered to drive since she was being such a bitch!  I'm glad we decided to keep our plans because the winery was certainly the highlight of our weekend!

------------

Today I planned to take the kids to have lunch with a few of my friends.  We decided the van isn't really safe to drive until we have her attitude adjusted, so I loaded the car seats into the AWESOME PT Cruiser and started driving to BFE.  When we got off at Airport Highway Keegs complained that he was hot so I turned the ac up a little bit and asked the girls to help with road signs.  Ok, the road we're looking for is McCord.  It starts with a M, Cam. 

"I see it Mom, it's the next road!" Lilly said.

"Ok, which way is right, Cam?" I happily asked since I was excited to see my friends:)

Cami points to the right and I turn onto McCord, but we have to stop for a train.   It's ok though because we have Michael Jackson playing and we're rocking out! 

-------------

UNTIL the train is done and I push the gas...and we coast back a little bit.  CRAP.  Put the car in park, turn the key, tutututututututttutut.  Not turning over.  BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP. HONNNNNNKKKKKKK!!!!

I turn on the hazards and call Aaron. 

"Hey, how's work going?" Calmly I inquire.

"Ok, what's up?" he responds.

"Oh, I'm in the middle of MCCORD and the car won't start.  WITH THE KIDS. What do you suggest?"  Still very calm and laughing, I ask.

"You have got to be kidding! I'm sorry that I said that it will be our luck that the blue car will break down next!" he says in disbelief.

"Hehe, yeah, well, I'm not kidding.  I have to go.  I'll call Abbe to come pick up the kids while I wait for AAA.  I'm just going to have them tow it to the closest shop, K?"  I said still laughing in disbelief.

"Yeah, that sounds like a plan.  Call me back later. I love you."  I'm sure he was shaking his head and wanted to throw something at this point.
-------------

"Hey, Abs, I need a big favor!" I said not wasting any time.

"Yeah, what's up!?" She responded pleasantly...she would do anything for anyone so I wouldn't expect any other response!

"Um, yeah, so I WAS going to be on time today, but my car has decided that it no longer wants to run and I'm in the middle of freaking McCord.  Can you come get my kids, please?" Still laughing I begged.

"Of course! I'll be there in a few.  Dawn and Katie are running late so I have to load up the boys."  She reassured me.

-----------

"I need a tow truck, no I didn't run out of gas.  Yes, I've tried to start the car again.  Yes, I AM IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD...WITH THREE CHILDREN!"  (So, I might have been losing my patience a little right here)


----------

A nice young women shouted out of a van window and asked if I would like them to push my car into the median?  Well, yes, actually that would be wonderful!  Especially since you're the first person in 20 minutes to stop and ask if the woman and three children on McCord with cars zipping passed them could use some freaking assistance!!  So, I threw the car in neutral and they lined their van up behind the pretty PT and pushed us into the median.   They didn't bother to stop and let me thank them, just pulled around us once we were clear of the lane and waved, but it was a huge help for them to get us out of harms way and I was grateful!

Abbe arrived and my children hesitantly loaded in and I went back to my position on the corner, I mean curb, by my broken down car to wait for the AAA.  In the meantime a Sheriff stopped to make sure I was ok.  I informed him that AAA was on the way and he told me that he'd come back if it started to rain so I didn't have to wait outside in the rain...thanks a freaking lot.  I've been here for 48 minutes and you stopped to tell me that!  I won't hold my breath on the dry seat in your car if it starts to rain either!

Anyways, the tow truck finally arrived and the driver wanted to chit chat!! Seriously?  Do you see that car that you need to load up on your truck?  Do you see the car seats in it?  YES, THAT IS MY CAR!  AND YES, I HAD TO RUN MY KIDS ACROSS THIS BUSY HIGHWAY BECAUSE MY POS CAR DECIDED IT WANTED TO TAKE A CRAP. IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD. ON A 92DEGREE DAY.  (I THINK THE PT CRUISER IS A MALE-can't finish the job;)).

Dawn came to my rescue and picked me up on the corner when I put out my thumb:) We really did have a lovely visit.   I don't get to see them as often as I'd like and I didn't let the breakdown get the best of me.  Instead we just laughed about it:)  Dawn took us to the car shop to grab the car seats and dropped us off safely at home...Hey, it could be worse, right?

------------


We decided we all needed some fresh air after our adventure this afternoon so we walked (that is what people that do not have a functioning car do, ya know?) to the speed trap.  The kids told Aaron about our day and we continued to laugh at our misfortunes.  "Raindrops are Falling on my Head" started playing on the radio and Aaron looked up as if it was really raining on his head.  I asked him if it was supposed to rain tonight and he shrugged the I don't know shrug. 

We ordered our ice cream and decided that I would take the kids to my moms and he was going to head home to meet up with his buddy.   We walked outside and looked at each other...you have got to be kidding, right?  Dark skies were moving quickly our way.  He walked us to Water Street and ran home...he didn't make it before it poured on him.  I ran...with all three kids...and a wagon to my moms, but we made it.  The rain started seconds after we busted through the door. 

Oh, and right before we walked to the Speed Trap, she, the bitchy van, decided to start honking at us again...so we disconnected her battery:)

Hey!  How was your weekend???

DON'T ASK!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment