Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Do you become less social as you age?

I have always enjoyed being surrounded by people. 

I like to have people over, stay out late, dance until the sun comes up, and do it all over again the next day.  I always have!  I prefer to invite lots of people to join me.  The more the merrier!  I like to workout with a group of friends rather than run by myself.  If I'm going to a public place, I think it's fun to invite others to meet me there. 

 Some people think I over share. Some people think I have too many friends.  Some people would rather have a few close friends than lots of friends and that's wonderful if it works for you:) Some people would prefer that I didn't invite everyone I know to everything I do.  People that are closest to me sometimes start an invitation to an event something like this:  "We're going to do X, don't invite the town!"

A couple nights ago I decided that I don't care.  It's who I am.  If you don't want to be surrounded by people, politely turn down my invitation.  If you're the one inviting, I will honor your request to keep the invitation to myself:)

I had a friend in college that was the life of the party: fun, funny, very intelligent, beautiful.  She was involved in more activities, planned more parties, and stayed up later than I did most nights! She did it all with perfect grace and beauty.  I assumed that she loved to be surrounded by people, in charge of events, and making everyone laugh and feel welcomed! Now she prefers to stay at home with her husband and puppy.

When Aaron doesn't want to do something that I have planned, sometimes I complain to his mom.  She says it will get worse as he ages!  I have heard one of my friends' mothers state that she expects the same thing from her son...that he too will stay home by himself more often and turn down invitations to hang out with his friends.

Why? 

Do you start to get more selective of the activities that you are willing to participate in as you age?  Is your time more valuable when you get older?  Do you simply like less of the human population?

Personally, I don't think I will often pick my quiet house over a party (even though I will soon be 31...EEEKKK), but I didn't think that my friend from college would ever prefer the quietness of her house over a crowded room full of friends either. 

What do you think?  Do people become less social as they age?

No comments:

Post a Comment