Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The Meaning of Christmas

First Guest Blog about Christmas is written by a childhood friend of mine.  I have a lot of the same memories.  I remember calling Maureen's cousin Christmas morning just as she remembers calling her best friend. My dad was a little more spunky than her dad, Mike...we didn't blast Neil Diamond;)  I wish she could be "home" for Christmas and see that our little church hasn't changed all that much and that Silent Night by candlelight is still unmatched.  Lots of Love, Maureen:)  Here is a picture of the monsters at the Christmas play this year for you to see!

If you want to join the challenge, there is still time!! http://publiclookin.blogspot.com/2013/12/guest-post-anyone.html

 
 

The Meaning of Christmas
By: Maureen White


What is it? What is the true meaning of Christmas? So often, we lose sight of the things that matter the most to us, not matter what it may be. For many of us, Christmas time becomes one big rush of craziness that we have to attend to. Ok, let’s back up and really think about that one. It doesn’t start with just Christmas, it starts with Thanksgiving. There is a Holiday party here, dinner with family there, kids concerts, dance recitals, things to bake, cookies to frost, gifts to buy then you have to wrap them. There is always that last minute, “Oh crap, I forgot a gift for ____! What do I get?!”  But somewhere in there, the true meaning of Christmas gets lost. So what is it?

Christmas has its own personal meaning for everyone. Some think that it is a time to outdo their neighbors with decorations. Others think, I have to get this and that for my kids, and will do anything possible, even if it means getting up at the crack of dawn (or before) to go get that toy that everyone wants. It could mean purchasing the most beautiful shiny wrapping paper and taking an excruciatingly long time wrapping, ribboning, and decorating the packages into little showpieces that look good enough to grace the cover of a magazine.  So much is lost in the hustle and bustle of shopping, baking, wrapping, decorating that we lose sight of what really matters in all of this. To me, that meaning of Christmas is so much more than wrapping, giving, receiving, and the tree. It’s the memories made.

I remember as a young girl, calling my best friend on Christmas morning asking what she got from Santa. I remember the Christmas cookies and picking out the right ones for Santa. I remember going shopping every year with my dad and blasting Neil Diamond on the ride to the mall.  I remember going to church for the Christmas Eve service and singing Silent Night in the candlelight. I remember bringing home poinsettias one year that didn’t survive the walk home. I remember playing with the nativity under the tree while my mom wrapped gifts in the next room. I remember having the last Christmas dinner with my Grandpa- and him telling stories about my dad and uncles as little boys. I remember the year that my dad got a new tree and I HATED it because it wasn’t what we always had. I remember the first Christmas I spent away from home and I cried because I was so homesick. Those memories that have been made can never be erased.  But that, right there, ladies and gents, is the true meaning of Christmas. Those memories, even the little ones are worth more than the perfect present.

As I am celebrating this year with my family, so far away from “home”, I am once again reminded that the true meaning of Christmas is so much more than giving a great gift.  So, before you get lost in the shuffle of concerts, caroling and heading out to the next gathering make some time with your family. Take a drive through your town and look at the lights. Start a new tradition of everyone getting a new pair of PJs and a watch a Christmas movie on Christmas Eve after church. Go to a Christmas Eve service. Drink hot cocoa in front of the tree. Enjoy those moments.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

No comments:

Post a Comment