Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The Perfect Gift

What can you get for someone that has EVERYTHING?  What can you give to the rich, but also to the poor?   What can you give to both the old AND the young? What can you give to your bestest friend, but also your enemy? You don't even have to shop!! You can give it to your boss, your spouse, your children!

It's a gift that is free.  It's my favorite present to open. I open it over and over and over again. 

You don't have to save it for Christmas day.  You don't have to be greedy with it because He will refill it as often as you ask. You don't have to share it only with the people you love the most because there is an abundance of it if you believe.

It's inside your body, buried deep under skin and bones and muscle to protect it from the outside world that can be so cruel.  Your body is the container for it and it operates separately from it. You get to decide when to listen to it and when to turn up the music and drown it out. It lives on when your body fails.

What is this most perfect gift that you can give to each and every person that you pass?  Pieces of your spirit!

When we listen to our spirit, the possibilities of gift giving are ENDLESS!!

Imagine if we gave these gifts each day...to OURSELVES AND OTHERS:

LOVE, Kindness, FORGIVENESS, Humility,TRUTH, Sympathy, ENCOURAGEMENT, enthusiasm, COMPASSION, conviction, COMMITMENT, Loyalty, DISCERNMENT, Support, TIME, Understanding, GRACE

What if every day we passed out our gifts to both ourselves, our friends and frenemies to open?  Over and over and over again.  Not for recognition, not because we think it's the "Christian" thing to do, but simply because we listened to our spirit. 

If you haven't taken the time to listen your spirit in a while, this is what I do when I want/need to have a little chat with mine. Sit in the still...sometimes this is very difficult.  It's difficult because so many thoughts can be racing through your head that it's hard to pick out the ones that are from your spirit and focus on them.  Sometimes it's difficult because you have to be quiet with yourself...that in itself is hard sometimes.

I HATE shopping. However, I LOVE giving the perfect gift.  I thought long and hard this week and decided to share the most perfect gift with you.

I'm going to offer all of you a piece of my friends spirit today.  She gave it to me.  It was free and simple.  It's for the young and the old, the rich and the poor.  I know that she will not mind that I'm sharing it with you because she understands exactly how to refill it.

I held her hand.  The hand of a very brave woman, it was an honor. I talked briefly on facebook about her grace.  What I find truly fascinating and endlessly inspiring is how quickly she reached acceptance. She battled hard. She strategically moved each pawn in her best attempt to conquer, but she also knew exactly when to surrender to The King.  In His timing, she will find peace.

Tammy Reichert is her name.  She isn't old and frail.  She is young and beautiful and only a few short months ago she was bopping around, here and there and everywhere.  Her mind is strong.  Her body is failing her, but her spirit is soaring.  She is so full of light.  The kind of light that shines bright- even in the darkness.  Even before I open the rest of my Christmas presents, I can tell you without a doubt that the gift that she gave me is my favorite this year.  I plan to tuck it away safely and reopen it often.

Among many other important pieces of advice, she offered this gift of truth, CELEBRATE LIFE. 

I watched her say goodbye to a roomful of friends.  Only a very small fraction of the people that love her were there when I stopped to see her. I wish I would have reminded her friends that it's not the end, but only the beginning.  We will meet again. 

I simply can't even fathom the pain she must be feeling to know that she will be leaving her family.  So much left undone.  So many moments that her adult children still need her for.  So many more years her husband wishes he would get to grow old with her. And what about her wise beyond his years grandson, what will he think?

Yet, she concentrated on her inner light. She continued to remind everyone to celebrate life.

You can share your most perfect gifts, not only at Christmas, but all year. You can be this light to and for others because when you celebrate life, your light shines brighter.  When you offer the things listed above, the parts of your spirit, you are giving the most perfect gift that you have to offer.

Thank you to her wonderful family for allowing time to visit.  Thank you, Tammy, for the most perfect gift: a piece of your spirit. I will cherish it always.

Celebrate life with your loved ones that are here with you this Christmas and the ones that live in your heart forever.

Celebrate life,

 

No comments:

Post a Comment