Friday, December 20, 2013

Mele Kalikimaka

I can't get this out of my head now, bratface;)  Guest post from one of my favorites! Oh, and I want to be in Hawaii now:P  Merry Christmas, Cheryl!!


 
Mele Kalikimaka

(Merry Christmas in Hawaiian)

When you think about Christmas many things come to mind and for everyone this may be similar, or something different all together. For me though, there are three words that come to mind that describe how I feel or feelings that arise this time of year. Funny thing is, not long before Laura presented this challenge my youngest child posed the question of why I love Christmas so much. My answer to her was a little less in depth, but held the same meaning.

Ohana (Family)

Family. One word that can mean so much to many. I love that during the holidays we get to spend time with family near and far. We may not all be able to gather at the same time but at least the time is spent with each other.

As I get older I learn to cherish that time spent together. Things can change so quickly; here and gone in a moment's notice. Give a loved one that extra hug. Say how you feel. Because hindsight is just that, hindsight.

Recently I had to say goodbye to a loved one in my work family. One day we were celebrating her retirement with cake and smiles, the next we sat by her bedside as Hospice was called in, sharing tears and whispers of "I love you". The realization of this person's passing finally hit me full force as a snapped a photo of my Christmas tree. I thought to myself "Pat is going to love this one". And then it hit me, like a punch to the gut. I will never share family photos or stories ever again. Family was everything to this special lady and the best advice ever given to me was to always say I love you and cherish every moment. Family!!




Maopopo (Understanding)

Understand that sometimes the holidays have a negative feeling or bring about times of sadness. During the holidays some individuals are not as lucky as others to have family around. Their family may be far away unable to visit, or they may not have any family at all. For those who have lost a loved one during the holidays prior, this time of year may bring negative feelings or deep sorrow. Please try to understand that some may not share in our happiness or celebration.

During this time of year in the hospital we are always busy. Some come because they are sick, but others come because they are lonely or sad. For those individuals please try to show them compassion and empathy. The do not need sympathy or someone to feel sorry for them, just an ear to listen or even a kind word or gesture will do.

Which leads me to the next word......

Ha'awi (Give)

Give selflessly. Every year I take the kids shopping for toys to donate for "Toys for Tots". They enjoy picking out toys for other children and trying to decide what those children would want. I like that it gives them a sense of the needs of others and the joy of giving.

But the need does not stop there. There are so many that go without basic needs for whatever reason. Food, shelter, basic care items, a warm coat or blanket.... the list could go on and on. The ultimate gift of giving was given to all of us when Jesus was born. Given to us, to save us all and help us see the light of God.

So give. Help your fellow man, woman, and child. The gift does not have to be monetary, your time is just as valuable and appreciated. Spread the love that was given to us all.

I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

**In case you were wondering about the use of the Hawaiian words, I am more of a tropical weather person. I would not mind a green and bright Christmas as long as my family was there by my side!!** :)

Cheryl Helmke

No comments:

Post a Comment