Friday, January 18, 2013

Practice What You Preach

Don't you think it's so much easier to match your behavior to your beliefs and ideas when things are running smoothly?  Or when you have something to look forward to, it's easier to stay positive and upbeat.  Things that on some days would drive you to tears, can be brushed off and forgotten about if you're in a good mood.

What about when things don't go your way?  How do you deal with disappointment, stress, sadness, jealousy, fear, anxiety?  Can you still practice what you preach?  Can you walk the walk when it's not sunshine and rainbows? 

Sometimes I have to remind the people around me to stay positive, focus on the good, find "the thankful" even when it's hard.  Nobody likes to be around Negative Nancy and Debbie Downer.  It's just not fun!  Recently I had to remind myself and I wondered how others cope with the stresses of life. 

That bloodshot eye in the picture above is mine.  I most certainly sneak in tears when I need to.  But then I try to rally.  I think about all of the ideas in my head, I add them to the things that I know to be true and start to move forward. 

Often when I need to rally, I open my Bible.  I have bookmarked pages that I find comforting with cards, pictures, or notes that I've written to myself.  I read a few pages or the note that's marking the place and I feel like I can breathe again.

Usually talking (bitching) to Aaron or my friends helps, too;)

When I really wanted to cry and feel sorry for myself, but I needed to be strong, I hid in the bathroom and jumped on Pinterest and searched "thankful".  I read a few quotes about being thankful.  I thought about all of the things in my life that I have to be thankful for.  I knew that I couldn't be anything but grateful.  I have so much goodness in my life and squishy cheeks to kiss anytime I need a reminder. 

The little eyes that inspect me oh so closely at every turn do not need to be burdened or even sense that I'm upset most of the time.  I need to teach them to find the positive, not concentrate on the negative.  I talk about finding the light, searching for the positive, being thankful in all situations...ALL THE TIME. 

Sometimes I have to regroup.

Take a step back. Focus.

Be thankful and find the light.

"Never separate the life you live from the words you speak." Paul Wellstone


Something sweet to chew on:  Practice what you preach.

No comments:

Post a Comment