Monday, May 7, 2012

Witness

Tell me how your life has been changed by Christ.  It can be a specific example of how you witnessed Christ the other day at the grocery store, how you see God at work through others, or your life journey, your conversion experience or any other way Christ has changed your life.

This is the challenge presented by Pastor Jennifer Williamson a few weeks ago.  It's common knowledge that I love her and continually she insists on trying to make me a better person.  When she first presented the challenge I thought to myself, I've already done this exercise for her!  I obviously should be awarded a get out of homework free pass since I not only wrote a very personal witness, but also delivered a message to the congregation on my witness! I thought to myself nobody really wants to hear me witness again.  I just told a huge chunk of my story in October!   You can read it here:  http://publiclookin.blogspot.com/2011/10/as-some-of-you-know-one-of-things-that.html

Two days after listening to the sermon on witnessing, I received the most beautiful witness account from one of my friends in my inbox.  Tears were streaming down my face as she recited her most recent encounter with Christ. I felt so very honored that she felt compelled to share her witness with me.  I wished I could hug her at that very second.  The love of Christ was overflowing, seeping out of every pore, compassion and grace were taking over a spot in her heart that used to hold sadness and loss. It made me feel more connected to her and Him...

Then I discarded the witness thing again.  This time I used the excuse that I witness all the time.  I am open and honest with everyone that asks about my faith and my faith journey.  I invite people to join me in church and at Bible study whenever I feel it appropriate.  I often ask for prayers.  That's enough, right?

Last night I had a young woman over who is trying to start a women's ministry in the university atmosphere.  She was raw and honest.  Her enthusiasm to reach out is obvious.  She openly told her story of coming to live for God.  Once I again I felt inspired and more connected to this young lady and Him. 

So, I decided I will witness again...now that I feel called to do so.  I've decided not to witness on my personal journey this time, but instead I will witness about how God uses me to work for Him.  More particularly when I feel "called" to do something and what I get to witness when I act on what I feel called to do.

Many times it's as simple as picking up the phone.  I have made it a practice to call someone or shoot them a text when they pop into my head.  I can't even count the number of times their first response is something to the tune of "I am so happy to hear your voice, I am having a particularly bad day today".  When we talk through the problems we are facing, usually both parties leave the conversation a little more confident in their ability to tackle whatever it is they are overwhelmed with at the time.  I used to think, I'll call them tomorrow or I'm going to see them next week.  Now I call them as soon as I can, just in case they popped into my head because they need me then, not tomorrow or next week. Listen when you are called.

Sometimes, well I haven't in a long time, but I will be sending one this week, I send cards.  Handmade, personalized to the recipient, out of the blue, just because cards.  Have you ever received a card like this?  Didn't it make you feel special, cared for, loved?  I already know who I want to send the card to, I have the address in my inbox and I have a deadline of Wednesday to send it.  I can't wait until the person receives it.  I hope they understand how much they are loved and admired for their strength, honesty and grace by people they probably think have long since forgotten about them.  Act on the random thoughts that run around in your head!

Occasionally, I drive by a place and feel like I just have to stop.  Sometimes it's our former neighbor, Betty.  Sometimes it's a friend in the hospital. Sometimes it's my aunt and uncles house.  No matter where it is, I ALWAYS feel better when I stop.  Even if we are super busy, need baths and snacks and I know we will not be ready in time for bedtime.  Even if I'm tired and cranky.  Even if I'm supposed to be working.

Last week I was running errands for one of the partners at the firm.  I drove by the hospital the first time and thought "Hmm, I should probably stop. She did have particularly awful night."  Even though I was working, I just had to stop, just for a little visit so that my friend would know that I was thinking about her.  I stopped in the gift shop and purchased a willow tree figurine (my absolute favorite thing to give during times of need as most of my friends can attest to).   I found the perfect one!  A perfect little boy holding up a balloon with "hope" spelled inside the balloon...and a Snickers because that's her fav;) What I witnessed was a frightened mother clinging to her faith.  Rather than asking "why me?" or question the doctors as to why she must stay in the hospital, she has decided to give it all to God.   I was able to make her laugh and hug away just an ounce of fear because I stopped my busy life for a second to tell her that I'm praying, that I'm here and I love her.  Don't drive by because you're too busy.

What do I get to witness when I listen to the calling? Love, mercy, grace; All of the things that draw me closer to Him.   All of the reasons I am so hungry to learn more about His words.  Listen when you are called, act and take the time to extend His Grace.  You'll be surprised what you are able to witness!


No comments:

Post a Comment