Sunday, October 16, 2011

What Do You Give to God?

Matthew 22:15-22

New International Version (NIV)

Paying the Imperial Tax to Caesar
 15 Then the Pharisees went out and laid plans to trap him in his words. 16 They sent their disciples to him along with the Herodians. “Teacher,” they said, “we know that you are a man of integrity and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. You aren’t swayed by others, because you pay no attention to who they are. 17 Tell us then, what is your opinion? Is it right to pay the imperial tax[a] to Caesar or not?”  18 But Jesus, knowing their evil intent, said, “You hypocrites, why are you trying to trap me? 19 Show me the coin used for paying the tax.” They brought him a denarius, 20 and he asked them, “Whose image is this? And whose inscription?”
 21 “Caesar’s,” they replied.
   Then he said to them, “So give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and to God what is God’s.”
 22 When they heard this, they were amazed. So they left him and went away.

As some of you know, one of the things that I like to do in my spare time is write.  Some of you read my thoughts in the church devotional, some of you read my thoughts when I post a blog online, some of you even get to hear my thoughts when you probably don't want to!  :)

When Pastor Jen asked me to write a message for this scripture she wanted me to give more to God.  She asked me to speak from the heart and tell you all how I personally give to God.  Probably in hopes that it would make you feel more connected to God as you thought about how you give to God. Maybe even make us, as a congregation, feel more connected in how we give to God.  Instead, I wrote a safe sermon that was impersonal and difficult to relate to.  This is my second message on the same text, but it is entirely different.  I'm confident this message is more of what she really wanted when she asked me to do this for her.

What do you give to God?

In the scripture lesson the Pharisees are attempting to trick Jesus.  They thought that he could only respond in two ways and that either answer would be breaking a rule.  One answer would break a rule set by Caesar, but the other answer would break a rule set by God.  Immediately Jesus realizes that they are trying to trap him and he calls them out as hypocrites.  He tells them to "give to the emperor what is the emperor's and to God what is God's" When I drafted the first message I focused on rules, laws, and paying taxes, but really the most important part of the text here should focus on giving to God what is God’s!  So instead of focusing on rules and laws, I will tell you how and why I give to God.

Have you ever felt like you have too many titles associated with your name?  Like you can't possibly be all the things that you need to be to all of the people in your life or you can't possibly fulfill the never-ending expectations that are imposed on you whether it's family, church, work...life?

Remember a time when everything you touched seemed to fall apart?  You were let go from work, the washer died, you had a flat tire and the list just seemed to go on and on, forever and ever? You probably told yourself you simply couldn't handle one more thing!

So far in my thirty years I have felt like this multiple times, but when my Dad's cancer returned I felt like I couldn't breathe.  The end of life stages are not fun to witness and this feeling of not being able to catch your breath is the best way I can describe exactly how helpless I felt.  I questioned God.  Why was this happening?  How can a God filled with such love and grace allow my Dad to suffer in this way? 


As the end grew closer for my Dad, I found that the anger and depression that sometimes seemed like it was going to overtake me, only seemed to lessen when I prayed.  I felt like I could breathe again when I read the Bible.  As the Hospice choir harmonized each hymn perfectly, I felt at ease. When I listened to Pastor Jen speak at my Dads funeral I was comforted with faith, hope and love.  When I decided to attend the Christmas Eve Service last year I truly felt the love of God and it filled my heart.  

Since I have felt His love and amazing grace I want more of it.  After I felt it and as I push myself to learn more of His word, I am starting to understand what we are all supposed to give to God.   In this reading Jesus was less concerned with paying taxes and more concerned with where your heart and energy is focused. 

Where is your energy focused?  What is your heart focused on?  What do you give to God? 

Sometimes the only thing that keeps me sane with my busy schedule is my honest belief that we are supposed to give everything, all that we have, to God.  As I run from this event to the next with my little ducklings waddling behind me, I want to know that each hour, each day, and each week I am giving everything I have to God.   Consciously, I am trying to be all used up when my time is called to be with God.  I want to have already given myself fully to God.  To me this means that I don’t want to have any talents, any gifts, or anything left of me to give.  I want to give Him everything.

So, now…now that I have opened my heart to God, I am more aware of what I have to offer.  We are all called, we all have special gifts and talents, but it is your choice how to use them!  You can use your gifts to gain power, fame, expensive toys OR you can give them to God!

When I wake up I try to hear the birds chirping as I prepare for work and see the beauty in the sunrise before I see Grant’s picture of it…even if I have been up all night with a crying child.  I wake up on Sunday and dress my beautiful ducklings in their Sunday clothes and try to contain them during the church service…rather than sleep in on the only day that sleeping in is a possibility.  I send a message to a friend in need or stop by unannounced with a beautiful prayer shawl made by some of the wonderful ladies in our congregation…when I should be cleaning my house or getting some sleep.  I share my thoughts on difficult topics, often topics that I struggle with the most, in hopes that it might help a friend or acquaintance that needs some assurance.  Time and time again someone pops into my head and I call them or send them a message. Almost always they admit that when I reached out to them they needed someone at that exact second…listen when you are called and give Him everything you have to offer.

New people pick up the pieces and take over tickle tortures.



There are always going to be times in life when you feel like you can’t catch your breath.   There are going to be times when you feel like too many titles describe you.  What you choose to do during those times is your choice.  You can let the expectations overcome you.  You can allow that feeling of helplessness to thrive and bring you down.   You can concentrate your thoughts on how bad things are going and most likely they will continue that way!

OR you can give everything to God. 

You can open your heart allowing Him to fill your spirit with His love and grace.  You can be renewed each day by reading His word, helping your neighbors and giving back to the community.  You can gain strength by spreading His word, forgiving with your whole heart and loving boldly.  You can use your talents to do Godly work.

Jesus wasn’t tricked by the Pharisees question, challenge yourself not to be tricked either!

Ask yourself, what do you give to God?

Amen



No comments:

Post a Comment