Wednesday, April 4, 2012

When in Doubt, Call!

It has been a crazy morning at the office.  I am writing to unwind a little bit, stop shaking, and hopefully make my hives disappear while I'm at it.

Recently, one of the partners from our firm moved to Tennessee.  He was one of the attorneys that hired me and I have worked in a small firm atmosphere with him for seven years.  Quickly we started a friendship because in his words, I have "spunk".  He is more than 30 years my senior, but there is no age barrier when we communicate.   I have attended concerts with him and his spunky wife, enjoyed cocktails in his basement bar, they stop by when they drive through Woodville.  He is more than my boss, he is my friend.

When he told me that he was moving, I was excited for him.  His wife, Diane, is wild and crazy.  She wears flamboyant clothes, she says what's on her mind, she thinks outside of the box.  I think Nashville fits her personality perfectly!  Ed still plans to work remotely and I am his primary contact.  I gave him a big hug and reminded him that he still owes me a trip to the Village Idiot.  He assured me that the next time they were in town, he'd pay up.

This morning he called for assistance in filing a document.  I formatted the document and asked another attorney to sign the pleading on Ed's behalf.  The attorney had a question about the pleading so we called Ed. 

Ed has a heart condition.  He had a mild heart attack a few years ago. He has "in case" pills (nitroglycerin) that I tease him about when he gets worked up.  His face turns red when he's mad and when I can tell he's in a "mood", I tell him to give me his keys so that I have his "in case" pills when he needs them.

When we called him this morning, he admitted to the other attorney that he had taken a couple nitroglycerin pills and was feeling similar to how he felt when he had a heart attack.  They wrapped up their conversation, but they were supposed to talk again in just a couple minutes about the revisions to the pleading.  We called him a couple times before the alarm bells went off.  Then Dave asked for the contact numbers.

Ed JUST moved two weeks ago.  We don't have his current address, they don't have a home phone, Diane was at work and not answering her cell, Ed's cell went straight to voicemail, neither of his sisters answered the phone.  We called a friend of Diane's here in Toledo and she had their address and knew which hospital Diane works at.  We put in an emergency call to Diane with the hospital and called the Police in Nashville.

I told the attorney here that Ed was going to be pissed at him and he told me that he didn't care.  I'm not sure that before this incident I would have called the emergency squads simply because he didn't answer the phone when he was supposed to. Dave was confident in his decision and told me that if it was a false alarm it wouldn't be the first time he looked like a fool and certainly wouldn't be the last!

I am losing hope quickly that it was a false alarm.  Diane is supposed to call as soon as she can and it has been more than an hour now.  I have two great big hives, I'm still shaking and I want to throw up.  The lesson that I learned today is when in doubt, call.  Dave didn't hesitate for a minute in the crucial time.  He had me contacting people as soon as Diane didn't answer the call to her cell.  He called the police as soon as I had the number and their address in hand.

UPDATE:  They are admitting Ed for observation, but they don't think he is actively having a heart attack.  He turned the paramedics away when they arrived and told them he did not call them.  When I talked to Diane she jokingly asked me, "Are you surprised?".  I chuckled and told her no, but I was happy to hear that he was being his stubborn self because that is a good sign.  She forced him to make the trip to the ER and he personally called to thank us after he talked with the doctors.  I think he was calling more to make sure we were filing his pleading:)  Great big sigh of relief. 

UPDATE 2: Angiogram today.

My pray list is enormous right now...can everyone just stay safe for Easter, please!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment