Thursday, December 1, 2011

Friday's Friendly Fun: Tradition

At the Advent/Christmas Bible Study, Pastor Jen asked us what our favorite Christmas tradition is?  What a great ice breaker!!  Even if you're a silent follower and never comment on my posts, I hope as you read the post today, that you smile as you remember your favorite Christmas tradition!!

My favorite Christmas tradition is hands down, easily, didn't even have to think about it...

THE SHRIMP FEST! 

Well before I was born, the Runion and Bowen clan started a Christmas Eve tradition that involves boiling mass amounts of shrimp.  Piles and piles of fresh shrimp, with the vein in it and the shell on it. Dishes of homemade cocktail sauce with too much horseradish in it. A cup of melted butter at every other seat. A collection of an entire month of newspapers lining the tables.  More recently we had tshirts made to commemorate the event.  All of my family jams into Uncle Paul and Aunt Con's house; every nook and cranny is full of laughing and shouting and "MY PILE IS THE BIGGEST"!

It's special and perfect and one of a kind.

Last year was the first year that we didn't celebrate my Dad's birthday at the Shrimp Fest.  I was uncertain and scared. I didn't quite know if I was ready to celebrate my favorite Christmas tradition without my Dad. He was so much a part of this big event throughout my life.  I knew it would be difficult for everyone to gather with his absence being in each thought of every person in attendance and the loved ones that decided not to make the trip home this year as well. 

We survived.  We smiled.  We remembered.

This year I am excited and proud and can't wait to open the door and see all of my family gathered around the tables to celebrate as we have each and every year of my life. 

I miss him so very much.  I'm sure a few tears will escape; even if I try to keep them prisoner.  But this tradition is ours and I get to experience this tradition because he is and always will be my Dad.   He would want and expect us to eat too much shrimp and laugh as we tell stories.  It was his favorite Christmas tradition too.

Celebrate, Remember and Embrace Tradition.

My Dad's last birthday on this side...with all of his siblings...at our Annual Shrimp Fest. 
Love you Dad.


No comments:

Post a Comment