Friday, November 4, 2011

Friday's Friendly Fun: Jennifer Hammitt

So, I'm pretty excited to have a guest blogger, I'm not going to pretend otherwise:)  Plus, I think she's pretty awesome, funny, and totally one of a kind!  I have been following her blog for quite sometime now and I'm so happy that she agreed to guest blog.  Thanks, Jenni!!

You can follow her at http://jenniferhammitt.blogspot.com/

Thanks Laura!

Mom's pendant as Kelsey's Something Blue




This was a perfect day: Adam and Kelsey's wedding. It was a day/weekend my family needed. It was a day I needed. My family was together for a happy occasion. I gained a sister. I began a new chapter in my life. 

Many of you already know, the past 16 months haven't been exactly kind to the Hammitt family.  We have lost both of our parents. My sister and I are lucky to be alive ourselves. We have had unwanted media attention. We had a crash course in elder care, Medicare and Hospice with Dad. There was so much sadness, anger, loneliness we had to face. We just couldn't seem to get ahead.

There were times where it would have been easy to just give up. It would have been so easy to sink into the darkness. There are some many decisions to be made, losses to grieve and feelings to deal with. Every time I saw my family, there was something that had to be taken care of. It was overwhelming at times. 

It was hard to keep my focus on that little glimmer of hope out in the distance. I am not trying to feed you rainbows and butterflies. I had some serious doubts that I would ever really be happy again. There were days where I seriously questioned why I survived the tornado. Even on my worst day, I worked hard to cling that little bit of hope. It would get better. It had to get better. I had no idea when that would be, or what it would look like. It was hope that pushed me out of bed many mornings, and helped me survive my days. Even as things did start to look better, I knew there was a bigger pay off in the works. That glimmer was getting brighter.

My hope finally paid off  on that slightly rainy, but still perfect fall day. My family was together, happy, laughing, and having a great time. There were no tough choices. There was some sadness (our parents weren't there), but that was evened out by knowing there were there in spirit and in our hearts. It was a new start for Adam and Kelsey, our family and for me personally. I know that had I let my darkness consume me,  this day still would have come. However, it wouldn' have been the same. The smiles wouldn't have been genuine. My heart would not have been in it. The happiness would not have been that same euphoric level. Things won't always be that perfect, but I am starting to bask in the glow of my hope. With it I can face almost anything. 

Even when life is at it's worst, cling to your hope. It will be what saves you.



No comments:

Post a Comment