Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Spoiler Alert

WARNING SPOILER TO FOLLOW. Do not read any further if you don't want to know the real meaning.  If you don't want to imagine a world full of true believers.  I often need the reminder, too.

On Sunday before we started practicing for the play, I wanted to have a little chat with the Sunday School class.  I was informed that one of my beautiful young students was saying some rather nasty things to one of their classmates.  (Good and bad thing about living in a small town: usually you hear when one of the monsters is acting up) 

I started my spiel:
Girls and Boys, I think everyone here knows the difference between nice things that we should say and mean things that we shouldn't say, don't you think?  (Heads nod yes)  Well, this week I heard that one of you might have been using mean words instead of nice words when you were speaking to one of your classmates!  Aren't you all learning about bullying?  (Heads nod yes)  Don't you think we should use our words to talk nicely to each other rather than tell each other mean things?  (one student slumps farther into their seat.  Carefully, I avoid making more eye contact with that student than any of the others, but I can tell they are getting the message)  Did you know that when you do bad things, people usually hear about it? Adults usually find out, sometimes me, sometimes your parents!
Fellow teacher interjection: But we shouldn't do things/not do things in fear of what our parents might find out.  We need to practice what God wants us to do at all times.

Ah, GOD!!  We were at Sunday School!! GOD!  What a concept!!  Yes, we need make the right choices for God, not because our parents will find out or because the elf will tell Santa or because Santa is watching.  Because God wants us to make the right choices and use the free will that He granted us in the right way!!

_________________________________________________________

Last night I wrapped Santa gifts.  (YES, I'm aware that this makes me SEEM like an overachiever, but really it was boredom more than anything.  I can only watch so much football and this seemed like a good way to sit in the same room as Aaron AND accomplish something that needs to get done).  Anyways, I moved the ELFING  Elf on the Shelf AND wrote a ELFING note to my children.  I wrote it and smiled and it made me feel all warm and fuzzy.  I wrapped piles of presents and joked with my husband that we bought many of the same things for the kids during our shopping trips.  (YAY US AS PARENTS...WE MUST BE LISTENING TO THE KIDS BECAUSE WE BOTH STATED THINGS LIKE: "Well, he said he wanted a ninja turtle or she has been asking for a notebook!"  BOO US AS PARTNERS-not very effective communication buying a few gifts twice! ;))

Then I packed away the gifts that were wrapped and Aaron took them to the attic.  I hid the other presents until another evening that I will be expected to watch football with the bearded man that lives in my house.  I went to bed feeling accomplished and excited for the monsters to see the ELFING elf and even more excited to think about them opening presents from Santa.

But, only just now, as I'm listening to "KEEGAN, TOUCHED ROSIE!!  IS SANTA STILL GOING TO COME!?!?!  MOM, I'M GOING TO BE SO MAD AT KEEGAN ALLLLLLL YEAR LONG IF HE STOLE ROSIE'S MAGIC!!" ETC ETC ETC, am I reminded of the spoiler that is sometimes forgotten during this wonderful season! 

CHRISTmas!  CHRIST is the reason for the season.  Yes, my monsters attended Sunday School this week and we practiced a play about the inn being full and touched a little on the birth of a baby.  Yes, they all sat on the steps in front of the congregation and listened to the children's connection about the meaning of Advent.  Still, if I'm being honest, they know more about the story of Santa and Rosie the elf than they do about the stories from the Bible.

I'm teaching my children to fear an Elf.  A ELFING ELF! 

I'm teaching my kids to fear that I will find out about their poor behavior if they are mean to others!  FEAR ME...Or at least, fear that I will tell their dad!! (Tonight they were probably pretty scared of me.  When the blender exploded on me, it was the last straw.  I threw a tantrum and sent them all to bed.  It was already later than their normal bedtime, but I turned into crazy, possessed, elf-eyes, head spinning, psycho mom.)

 Anyways, back to the subject.  Where does God fit in?

Might I propose a way to fit God in?  No, it's not going to be to touch the ELFING elf and make it lose all of its ELFING magical powers!  (I do believe that imagination is VERY important for young AND old minds alike.)  I'm not asking you to tell your little monster(s) that Santa isn't real!!

Instead, I'm going to read a story from the Bible each night in addition to moving the ELFING elf.  A great resource that also includes coloring pages: http://ministry-to-children.com/advent-coloring-pages-joy/.  I'm going to teach them about hope, finding our way, joy, peace and most importantly that He is our Savior! 

Just imagine!!!! A class full of monsters that believes in hope rather than name calling!  A team full of monsters that turns to God when they are having trouble finding their way! A young workforce that knows the joy that He can add to their work life and home life!  That same class of monsters will soon be middle aged adults, shaping the lives of new monsters, wouldn't it be great if they knew how to find peace through God!?  And what a comfort it would be when they all gather for activities at the nursing home someday.  I hope that they remember that HE IS OUR SAVIOR!

Imagination is important for both young and old.  What do you say?? Join me in sharing the spoiler.  Teach your monster(s) about the ELFING elf, but teach them about the new baby that will be born soon, too!  A new baby, Jesus Christ, Our Savior and Lord was born on Christmas day. Just imagine it!!  I believe, do you?




After my day today, my belief in God is the easiest thing for me to believe in. 

** PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SUBSTITUTE MY FAVORITE WORD FOR ELFING WHERE IT FITS;)




 

No comments:

Post a Comment