Monday, December 31, 2012

I Wanted All Four Ninja Turtles

Christmas trees with presents cascading out of them; an avalanche of consumerism. Facebook displayed picture after picture of the avalanches! Christmas isn't even over and we're online looking for something new and shiny to spend our Christmas money on.  Our house wasn't any different.  Present after present opened, but Keegan wanted all FOUR ninja turtles, not ONLY two.

I'm not going to pretend that we didn't have a lovely Christmas, we did.  Piles of presents, books and books and more books, coloring on the floor, drooling monsters sneaking quick naps on Mommy's lap, family and games and more presents and food, my goodness more food. But what we enjoyed the most, the thing that we unwrapped over and over again was each other.

In the constant rush of life, I very rarely slow down.  You won't catch me without makeup very often.  The only time I enjoy the comfort of sweats or yoga pants is when I'm burning calories. I work hard, I play hard, but rarely rest hard. But I did this week!

This week we slept in late.  We cuddled for hours and hours.  I was able to answer "No, you don't have to go to Christina's or school" day after day.  We didn't rush from one place to another.  Instead, I catered to the kids.  For the most part I did whatever they wanted to do.  By the end of the week, the two missing ninja turtles weren't mentioned at all.  All of the new toys found a new home and I bet if I took a few of them and hid them for a few months, I could re-use them and the kids wouldn't even remember they had previously received them!  Christmas morning Keegan decided to play with beads...that we've had for 3 years!  So, once again I was reminded: it's NOT the things that matter in life!

What they will most likely remember are the memories that we made together.  The traditions, the indescribable feeling of love that was shared, the time that we carved out to be present over perfect.

Happy Birthday balloons to heaven:











Visiting Grandma Gunner in the nursing home:

The shrimp fest at Papa and Nana's, reading and lighting the candles at church, finding the pickle at Grandma and Grandpa's house, $2 slime all over Mimi's walls, Treasure hunts, HAVING DADDY HOME ON CHRISTMAS:

Sleepovers with Stella, movies in 3D with cousins and Grandma, friends to fill the house, hours of fun in the snow:
 
Crafts with Aunt Laine and Mommy:
 
 

I really doubt that Keegan will remember that he ONLY received TWO ninja turtles, but I hope he remembers all the fun.
 
 
Last night I meant to finish this post.  Instead during our tickle torture, Camille took an elbow to the nose and the nose bleed required more cuddles so the rest of the post might be kind of choppy. (I wasn't complaining, it was a great excuse to turn in early;))  But my week off of work leads me to my New Year's Resolution.  (Yes, I believe in new years resolutions and have been really good at keeping mine the last few years and have turned them into habit, not resolutions)
 
This year, I'm going to SCHEDULE (we all know how I love to schedule) one weekend a month to cuddle, watch movies, make crafts, tickle torture, NOT RUSH.  No orders to "GET MOVING!" or "No, we don't have time to get out the craft tub" or "Maybe next weekend".   Nope, we're going to plan one weekend a month to stay home and open the gifts that keep giving: each other!
 
Because even if Keegan would have received all four ninja turtles, I'm pretty confident he'd pick to spend time with us over the turtles.
 


PS: Completely jealous of my SAHM friends this week.  I had so much fun relaxing with my monsters.   I know you all know how lucky you are, but know that I'm severely jealous of you all right now:P

What resolution(s) are YOU committing to?


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment