Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Today

My cousin, my more talented, much skinnier, much trendier without even trying, OLDER cousin, authored this blog post "What Today Means".  Check it out, she's amazing: http://lifeinagaggle.com/2012/12/18/what-today-means/

I probably would have written about "today" regardless, but instead of packing it away on my list of topics for "someday" that I may never return to, I'm going to write today. 




Today  I'm

A young girl mad at Mommy for ONLY putting pig tails in my hair.  Why can't she just braid it?  That's what I want.  She braided my sisters, but not mine.  She must love her more.

A mother rushing to get the monsters out the door so that I can get to work in time to sneak out early.   Dear curly girl, your hair is beautiful and doesn't need to be braided.  Your sister has flat straight hair with pieces flying every direction; she needs the braid to control the disaster known as her hair.  Please put on your shoes and stop whining.

A grandmother working more than normal.  I better call my daughter to check in on her precious babies.  How did they sleep?  Are they missing me?  I'll try to meet you later tonight, but I'm going to stay and work if they need me.  I love you.

A great grandmother waking to a new day.  What is for breakfast?  Did I eat yet? Who are these people and where are my sisters?  Why do they continue to walk into my room as if they own it?  Frances, yes, that's my name! How do you know my name?  Sure, I'd love to have my hair done.



A young girl who excitedly greets her Mommy.  (I have completely forgotten about being mad over  my hair and have turned to more important things like practicing songs for tonight).  Mommy, I can't wait to go caroling.  Who is going?  Jumping up and down: Addie?  Paige!!  Azure!  I can't wait!

A mother, exhausted from a trying day at work. I drop my purse to receive the hugs from the monsters.  They feel so nice pressed against me, but we must rush, as always.  Get your coats on.    How was school?  Hey, man I live with, how did they eat?  See you later.  Don't forget to change the laundry.

A grandmother who calls once again to check in.  I'm not going to be able to make it.  Sing loud for me.  Tell the kids to smile pretty and give Grandma Gunner a hug from me.

A great grandmother who is frustrated and trapped in my own head.  Why do I have to go play bingo?  Who are these old people sitting by me?  Where are my sisters?


A young girl skipping through the halls of the nursing home. Smiling and singing and twirling and laughing and holding hands with friends. Isn't this fun to get together and sing our favorite songs!?


A mother to three beautiful children, but a granddaughter, too.  I check with the aide and she says she seems to be in a better mood than she was earlier in the day. She's playing bingo, go on in.  I hug my grandma like I have my entire life, but she quickly asks who I am.  The aide smiles gently at me and I run through who I am as she stares blankly back at me.  I tell her that some of my friends have joined me and that I've asked them to sing a few special songs for her because I know how she loves to sing.

A grandmother at work, wondering how my mother is doing.  Will she remember my baby girl?  Will she be weepy when she sees her?  I wonder how my daughter will handle the kids and her friends and my mother.  I hope all of the residents like it.

A great grandmother.  Who is this young lady that's hugging me?  She looks kind of familiar.  Who are you?  She's claiming to be my granddaughter.  I don't have a granddaughter.  She does know that I like to sing.  I'll play along.  Well, I'm going to out sing you all!



A young girl that takes a minute to go give my great grandmother a hug. I know that she doesn't always remember me. She doesn't know how I know where her candy drawer is when she doesn't even know where her candy drawer is, but my mom and my Mimi tell me to always give her a hug.  I know she enjoys it when I give her a hug though because she smiles and sometimes she cries and my mom told me that it's because I make her so happy.

A mother who stands proudly as her monsters hug her grandmother.  I hope she at least enjoys the music.  Oh no, now she's crying.  I have to tell her goodbye.  I have to hug her and not cry.  All of the kids are watching.  All of my friends are watching.  Goodbye Grandma.  We'll see you soon.  We're going to come for a Christmas party on Christmas Eve.  We love you.  Yes, I'm Laura, your granddaughter.  When you go back to your room have them show you the pictures.  I'm there and my mom's there.   She's your daughter, you remember.  We'll help you remember.

A grandmother.  Did she know who you were?  How did it go?  She cried?  Oh, honey, thanks for going.  It means a lot to me.  Yes, I'll try to make it to the basketball game.  I love you.

A great grandmother.  He looks familiar to me.  I know that I should know him.  He's so cute and he's only hugging me!  Oh and this little girl, she's so precious.  I am so thankful for these sweet hugs.  Even if I don't know who they are.  I hope they come back soon.  Even though I cried, I love to sing "Joy to the World" and "Jingle Bells".  I remember singing these songs.

 
 
Today, I'm the mother.  Tomorrow I'll be the grandmother.  In the blink of an eye, I'll be the great grandmother.
 

Today I took the time to look at today from four generations.  I should probably do it more often. 
 

Today is priceless.


** Thank you so very much to my friends that joined us for caroling.  Much love to you all for spreading your light:)





 

No comments:

Post a Comment