Monday, October 15, 2012

One Shelf at a Time: Busy Mom Against the World

Nope, still no Excel spreadsheet of our meals for the month, SDD!  Maybe if I was able to make more than mac and cheese I would pump your spreadsheet, but even if I promote your spreadsheet everyone will know that I don't actually use it;)

HOW TO SCHEDULE IN ONE-ON-ONE TIME:
One day a week (or more if you're an overachiever), wake one of your monsters up before the busyness of the day begins.  Lay in bed with them and hug them awake.  Ask them if they had any dreams, what they want in their lunch, if they could be any animal in the world, what would it be?  My monsters love it when I do this and Camille is about 10,000 easier to deal with in the morning when I wake her up this way!  Makes them feel special and loved and it only takes a few minutes.

ON ORGANIZATION:
Pack everything that doesn't need to be cold in the monsters lunch the night before.  This way you aren't tripping over them, trying to feed them breakfast, brush hair and teeth, put on shoes AND pack their lunches.  I try to do this, but it doesn't always happen.  I always mentally kick myself when I don't and I'm scrambling to pack lunches!


ON GETTING THINGS DONE:
Who really has time to clean the refrigerator out?  Nobody!  I read this little tip in a magazine a long time ago, but only started using it more recently...and it works! Rather than taking the time to clean the entire fridge at once, clean one shelf at a time.  I do it when I notice that a shelf is particularly empty.  I move the remaining items to another shelf and only wash the empty shelf.  I try to rotate the shelf that I clean each time.  Works in any cupboard/cabinet too!

Warning: sometimes it results in cleaning the entire refrigerator when you notice how dirty ALL of the shelves are.

HOW TO BE ON TIME:
When you're counting on your significant other to pull their weight in the process of getting out the door, be specific!!  Sometimes men don't mean to useless.  Sometimes they are oblivious to the fact that you need assistance.  Sometimes they are useless;)

This weekend we wanted to fit a lot of activities in on our mini vacation.  On Saturday we had a beautiful wedding to attend, but we wanted to hit the outlets, putt putt, play some games, put an advice tree together, swim AND eat before we started the wedding festivities.  Yet, it was important to leave on time because I was in the wedding.  In order to fit everything in, everyone had to pull their weight.  When I needed help getting the monsters dressed or needed them to leave the room while I put things together for the wedding, I asked for help-WITH SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS.  "Hey, would you mind drying Keegan off and helping him get dressed?"  This task is a little more difficult (and sometimes even with specific instructions, men struggle) when you stay up way too late and need to wake up your husband..."Hey, would you mind waking up because we need to pack, eat and leave in time for you to make it to work" sometimes doesn't work.   Sometimes you have to resort to annoying levels to accomplish the goal of timeliness. (Like waking up, putting on his shoes, and dragging him out of bed in order to make it in time). You know, whatever works;)

(Not my refrigerator...mine isn't this clean;))

First post in this series:
http://publiclookin.blogspot.com/2012/09/busy-mom-conquers-world-1.html

No comments:

Post a Comment