Sunday, October 7, 2012

Believe Even When

 

For a couple months now Pastor Jen has been attempting to persuade me to attend a workshop.  She claimed that I would love it.   I successfully avoided her the first few times she mentioned it.   Finally, after she granted me permission to sneak out if I was not enjoying the message and the music, I agreed to attend.

Seven hours of "workshop", a choir concert, and a beautiful church service later, I'm still listening to music written by Mark Miller.  Pastor Jen-1, Laura-0

During the workshop, Mark told personal stories about the music and offered insight on how to teach, with passion, about God. He taught us about the power of silence, how to laugh at ourselves and much, much more.   I enjoyed the music, the wisdom, the honesty, the fellowship...everything.  Yet, I can also state without hesitation, that this song was the most powerful part of the weekend for me. 

Believing even during the "why's". Believing when it would be easier to turn away. Believing in the sun even when it's not shining.  Believing in love even when there's no one there.  Believing in God even when he's silent.


Can you imagine being a prisoner at a concentration camp and still believing; witnessing and suffering and fighting to stay alive and still believing?

Even when.

Believe.







Lyrics of "I Believe" originate from a poem written during WW2, on the wall of a cellar, by a Jew scratched on a wall in a concentration camp:

"I believe in the sun
even when it is not shining
And I believe in love,
even when there's no one there.
And I believe in God,
even when he is silent.

I believe through any trial,
there is always a way
But sometimes in this suffering
and hopeless despair
My heart cries for shelter,
to know someone's there
But a voice rises within me, saying hold on
my child, I'll give you strength,
I'll give you hope. Just stay a little while.

I believe in the sun
even when it is not shining
And I believe in love
even when there's no one there
But I believe in God
even when he is silent

I believe through any trial
there is always a way.
May there someday be sunshine
May there someday be happiness
May there someday be love
May there someday be peace...."
- Unknown



 

No comments:

Post a Comment