Thursday, February 14, 2013

Amen



They really do listen!! SOMETIMES. Sometimes they don't listen when we want them to. Sometimes they listen when we don't want them to. Sometimes they are listening when we don't think they are!

Last night we attended the Ash Wednesday service. Before the church service, the monsters were full of questions:

Do we have to get ashes? (I told them it was up to them.)

Do we have to leave it on if we get them? (Only until we get home, but if you want to leave it on, you can. It will show your classmates that you believe if any of the ashes are left on your forehead tomorrow.)

Can I bring my DS? (No, but I SHOULD have said yes...AAHHHH!! Keegs is usually the only monster that sits with me for the entire church service. Having Camille and Keegan vying for my attention for the whole hour was trying (exhausting)!)

One of my awesome, beautiful, wonderful friends met us at church with her monsters and we attempted to keep them (SEMI)quiet during the service.

When we started the responsive part of Communion, Keegan whispered in my ear: Can you say "amen" for me two times?

I looked at him puzzled and agreed (mostly to shut him up). Does he mean that he wants me to say "amen" for him when he takes Holy Communion; the gift of His body and blood?

We continued with the responsive reading and he whispered again: Mom, it's not REAL blood, right?

He is talking about the expected reponse when you receive Communion!  No, bud, it's not real blood.  It's just supposed to remind us that Jesus died for us.  It's actually juice.   

When he's not whispering in my ear, he's kicking Cami and drawing elephants. The people around us would have NO CLUE that he's actually listening.  But, he's not only is he listening, he's trying to comprehend! My handsome, crooked-smiled, accident prone, monster is trying to grasp a concept that many adults don't understand.

Finally, it was our turn to take Communion. On the way up to the stage area, he squeezed my hand: I will say it, Mom.

AND...he walked up, waited for Denny to say "the body of Christ, given for you" and he answered "AMEN".  He walked over and waited for Linda to say "the blood of Christ, given for you" and answered "AMEN".

I MUST remember what a handsome, wonderful, Christian boy he is the next time he wets his pants. When we all sat down, they tried to decipher if their ashes were in the shape of a cross...or an elephant...or a jet plane.

The only thing I could think in that moment:

AMEN!


PS: My kids wore their pj's to church again.  I'm not sure how some people feel about pj's at church, but my kids think it's awesome:)  I think it's awesome to have baths and pj's on before 7pm, too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment