Friday, January 13, 2012

FFF: Walking Trees

It’s exciting to be here, writing in someone else’s shoes.  I’ve decided that writing in my cousin’s blog is a little like the first time I rode the bus home with a friend.  I was a walker, by the way.  Never had to be dismissed first at the end of the school day to Ride the Bus.  Ah, what prestige and mystery that seemed to hold to my elementary school mind.  And then, for the first time, I was invited to sleepover at a Busser’s house. Right. After. School. I had arrived.  And today, here on Laura’s blog?  Yep.  I can almost smell the exhaust and feel the bumpy seats. Lol

Anyways.  When she asked me if I would drop in for a bit, I played with a few different topics.  I could do the usual family bit (you know, telling secrets about this certain blogger in an attempt to get even for times I had to babysit instead going out with my friends), or maybe a piece called, “Of Course I’m Insane—I Have Teenagers”.  But in the end, I told her I’d write a piece called “Walking Trees.”  Her response?  “Ok, Weirdo.  Just have it to me Friday morning.”  Lol

By the title, you might guess that I spent extensive time in the 70’s (I did, but only those aforementioned elementary years), or maybe that I’m chronically sleep deprived (another truth—either up with a fuss toddler or waiting for a fussy teen to come home after curfew).  In truth, the concept comes from a verse in the Bible.

I came across this wild idea the other day.  I was experiencing just some crazy things—very sick child and applying for the FAFSA for another kid’s college education and what I was going to make for dinner when I hadn’t gone grocery shopping—and my choices were to curl up in a fetal position (no chance, the dog would attack), or dig in deep to faith.  So I opened my online bible to this: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark+8&version=MSG

Now, if you browse through the passage, you’ll probably recognize this is the time when Jesus feeds over four thousand HUNGRY people (probably at least the equivalent of six kids) with five loaves of bread and two fish (SEE?? Dinner inspiration!).  But as I kept reading I came across a verse I’ve never really read before.  It was verses 22-26.  They read: “22-23They arrived at Bethsaida. Some people brought a sightless man and begged Jesus to give him a healing touch. Taking him by the hand, he led him out of the village. He put spit in the man's eyes, laid hands on him, and asked, "Do you see anything?"

 24-26He looked up. "I see men. They look like walking trees." So Jesus laid hands on his eyes again. The man looked hard and realized that he had recovered perfect sight, saw everything in bright, twenty-twenty focus. Jesus sent him straight home, telling him, "Don't enter the village."” (emphasis mine)  So, I re-read it, all the while struggling to keep the scene from Rango out of my mind—you know, the one where the cacti start heading toward the water?  (Good stuff, by the way, if you haven’t seen it.)  And I began to ponder a few things, like: Why did Jesus ask the man what he saw?  Jesus knew the minds and hearts of men.  Surely He knew the answer to the question He was asking.  And then, why on Earth would the guy respond to the Messiah with something as weird as “I see men. They look like walking trees.”?  Really? (Can’t you almost hear Laura saying, “Ya Freak.”)  And finally, I wondered:  Did Christ really need a do-over? As if He hadn’t gotten His healing right the first time?

And here’s what I came up with, and I’d love to hear your thoughts:

1.      I think Jesus ASKED the man, because He wanted the man to TELL him.  So often, aren’t we tempted to hide from the reality of our situation rather than assess it?  It’s so important (especially if we ever want to progress to wherever we WANT to go in our lives, as opposed to rolling with wherever Life takes us) that we objectively assess where we are at, our exact Point A, so that we can identify what we need to change, adjust, or re-affirm before we head to Point B.

2.      I think the guy responded as a weirdo because it was the most absolute, honest thing he could say.  And isn’t that really how we should pray?  Why do we try to think, act and be as if we have it all together, especially to the God who already knows we don’t?  I love this quote by A.W. Tozer: “God is loving for people through whom He can do the impossible.  What a pity when we plan only the things we can do by ourselves.”  Admit your Walking Trees!

3.      Finally, no, I don’t think Christ needed a do-over.  Honestly, later in the book, a woman is completely healed just by touching His robe, an action she took.  Here’s how I applied the verse: Just as He wants us to openly communicate to Him, He wants us to understand that we don’t have to look for a do-over.  I can’t tell you how many tears I’ve cried (okay, wasted) over things I thought I shoulda-woulda-coulda done differently.  What if instead I just said, “Lord, I see men.  And they look like walking trees”, and what if He replied, “Okay then.  Let me take you just a little bit further.”

4.      And I know I only listed 3 questions, but, I just had to add: Isn’t it cool that Christ asked the man not to go through the village?  I love that Christ healed the guy for the guy’s own sake.  Not just as a walking advertisement, not to be this pristine, perfect example, but just so that the guy could take things in, with perfect clarity for the first time, and figure things out from there.  That’s a Friend, huh?

I know this is long, and maybe Laura will edit (J). But I’m going to close with a link to a song that has really encouraged me along the way.  Hoping it does you too!!  Make it Great today…  Alissa

Thanks, Lis...the guest writer today is my older cousin...she has 6 beautiful children, a dog, a husband, a business, takes care of a household, she cooks yummy food...and lots more!! So thankful that she made the time to write a post for me today! Oh, and I love it!!  You can check out more of her writing at http://lifeinagaggle.com/!  Love you, Alissa Jo!

No comments:

Post a Comment