Thursday, January 26, 2012

Don't Stall, Don't Stall!

Have you ever selected a road along a river as your route after a hard rain?  Did you turn around when you reached the HIGH WATER or ROAD CLOSED signs?  Or did you press your luck and pray to God, Don't Stall, Don't Stall as you inched your way through the high water? As I think about this I want to stop my children from aging any further-I don't want them to press their luck and pray not to stall!

Have you ever been taught how to drive a stick shift vehicle?  When I was nineteen I worked for a pipeline company.  The only vehicle left for the summer help to drive on many of the hot summer days was a beat-up, one ton, rusty white, stick shift truck.  My dad was in charge of keeping my friend and I out of trouble most of the time...this also meant he was in charge of teaching us how to drive stick shift.  My father wasn't always the most calm person in the world.  Alright, so maybe both Laurie and I wanted to cry during our 'driving lessons'.  Maybe, just maybe, Laurie gave up before her turn even started and made me learn to drive the stupid old one ton truck. 

When you are learning to drive stick, the starting and stopping can be tricky.  We both knew my father was BEYOND irritated with my inability to learn what to him seemed to be such a simple feat.  Continually I would stall the stupid truck as we practiced at the tank farm.  Up and down the lane the truck would jump instead of roll.  We would all bounce around, really wanting to laugh, but scared of my dad's reaction.  Usually the driving lesson ended in a stall.

Over and over I would turn the ignition and start the process again. The lessons ended in tears on more than one occasion.  Every time I released the clutch and attempted to give it some gas, I would say a prayer; the same prayer in my head over and over again...DON'T STALL, DON'T STALL!! Eventually I learned to drive stick shift (not well, but we were able to drive around).  More often that I would ever admit, we drove to Elmore to watch our friends (that didn't have day jobs) lay out at Tammy's pool.  The entire way to Elmore I prayed that the light was green at the top of the hill on Route 51.  It wasn't. It never ever was green when I was driving that truck.  Don't Stall. Don't Stall. Don't Stall.

STALL.  I HATED that damn one ton truck and I stalled it all of the time. Kkkkkkkkkkk as the key turned over, finally the engine started and the truck would jump, instead of roll, down the road.  But we always (I mean one time), made it to the pool to lay out eventually.  I continued to drive the old beat up truck for the next four years.  It stalled ALL of the time, but we always made it to our destination in the end.

This week I have been thinking about avoiding a stall, but in a different way and not for myself.  I have been thinking about how easy it is for our spirit, our emotional well-being, to stall.  We think to ourselves, don't stall, don't stall! But sometimes it's inevitable, we stall.  Many people have talked to me about how to get restarted after they stall, but I'm not going to pretend to have the answers for that.  Instead, I'm going to continue to pray that we can learn to drive the stupid one ton, piece of crap stick shift and make it through that huge flood on the road or up the hill to Tammy's pool and avoid the stalls.

This week the DeVito's had a pipe burst and they have water damage throughout their house and garage.  The pipe was near their closet and quite a bit of their clothes will not be salvaged, dry wall fell down, carpets were soaking wet...while they are out of town...sitting at a hospital receiving treatment.

It would be so easy for them to stall right now.  It would be very easy to succumb to the 'poor me' feeling as the rain continues to pour on them, the water continues to rise and the road seems to be flooded every direction they turn.  Yet, I'm hoping they are able to avoid the stall. 

Via text this week Ashley said they are laughing about the water damage, but in the next breath she asked what else are they to do?  If they don't keep laughing, they would probably stall.

She also asked me how they will ever be able to repay everyone for all of the support they are receiving as they travel down this long, winding road.  Have you ever been in a situation that you felt like you would never be able to repay someone for all they have done; all the support they have given, all the love they have shared?  I have and this was my advice to her:

You are already repaying everyone.  When you walk into the treatment area and spread hope and love to the other patients, when Danny kicks cancers ass, when the next person receives a difficult diagnosis and you are the first person they call because you have been there...that's how you repay everyone! That's how you give back the love and hope that we are all sending to you...and you are already doing it!!!!

She went on to tell me that she had met a special friend that day at the treatment center.  His wife has a brain tumor that is pretty bad.  They held hands and talked about God. She described the experience as spiritually moving and the perfect way to start her morning.

Instead of letting the engine stall, Danny and Ashley are finding their way through the detours, through the HIGH WATER signs.  They are half way through the road to recovery and we don't want the truck to sit idle at the top of the hill for too long.  They need all of us to continue praying: Don't Stall, Don't Stall!! Just a little farther!  The end is in sight!!

What I'm praying for, as they hit the home stretch of this journey, is a another big surge of love and support to prevent them from stalling.  Continue to post on the caringbridge site often.  They already have the "Road to Recovery" scrapbook and we add to it each week from the loving words that you all have posted on Danny's caringbridge site. http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/dannyandashley

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! For all the donations!!  It looks even more amazing in person and I just know they are going to LOVE IT!! We will be giving them the 'Giving Tree' to them on February 4th...if you still want to donate, don't stall;)

If you're close to stalling yourself, below are some pictures to feed your spirit!!  The books, the gift card, the money, the encouraging words...all of it is beyond amazing.  I have been brought to tears many times over the last few weeks as people donate from their hearts. Thanks to all of my beautiful friends for helping with the scrapbook and thank you's and tree:)








1 comment:

  1. Laura,
    As much as people say it and YOU say it isn't true, your words and actions really are an inspiration! I would love to donate towards the scrapbook!! I have a paper pack that would be perfect for the love that you share for them and the love they have for each other...let me know how to get this to you...It might be easier if I give it to Ashley or Amy because my son goes to school with there kids...would that be ok? email me at lindseyheilman@yahoo.com or facebook me and let me know!!

    <3 Lindsey

    ReplyDelete