Wednesday, January 12, 2011

When you love someone, tell them

People that are "friends" with me on facebook probably think that the people that I hang out with can't really like me or each other that much. Ok, one of my friends actually told me this a while ago. Not quoting, but something to the effect that it is annoying that we post that we love each other and we miss each other all the time. Especially, since we see each other often and talk via facebook, text and cell phone all the time.

I was kind of self conscious about it for a while after she told me this. I don't know why, because I am not really one to worry about what people think, but it did make me think about things that I posted to my friends. I even told one of my friends, not knowing that she had just posted something from her heart on my page, that another one of my friends thinks that it's annoying when people post how much they miss each other or how they are a wonderful friend. She then commented that she probably should log on and delete her comment to me. I am glad she didn't.

When I logged on after talking to my friend, I had the chance to read about how she cherishes my friendship and that she is thankful for me in so many ways. I smiled and thought about the reasons that I cherish our friendship. I think about all the things that I learn from my friends, how they cry with me when I'm sad, how they love me even when I overstep my boundaries and I don't care if people think that is something that should be hidden, because I think it should be celebrated!

When you log in on your birthday or even when something tragic happens, it is encouraging to have 99 notifications of support. That many people took the time out of their day to write you a personal message. To you. Personally, I have secretly been boycotting the "Happy Birthday" on facebook, but I think I will return to wishing everyone a Happy Birthday after reading the comment below and reflecting.


It is amazing what a few kind words will do for someone. I wish we would do it more often. Thank you everyone for the birthday wishes, you made an old man feel young again.

In our crazy busy society I think it's great that my friends take the time out of their crazy busy day to tell me that they miss me, that they will not be satisfied until I make time for them or simply that they cherish my friendship. Friendship is very important and should be celebrated. So if you think it's annoying that we take the time to tell each other how much we cherish our friendships, please feel free to unfriend me. Because I think friendship is worth celebrating!

I will also let you in on a little secret! The person that made the comment about how silly it is that we all tell each other how much we miss each other emailed me the other day...I MISS YOU!! :) When you love someone, tell them!

No comments:

Post a Comment