Thursday, November 14, 2013

Listen with your Heart

Camille walked in the house tonight after GNC and was visibly upset.  I scooped her up and cuddled her in a blanket on the couch.  She broke down sobbing. 

I mouthed to Lilly: WHAT HAPPENED?? 

With a nonchalant shrug she mouthed back: She answered a question wrong.

I let Camille cry for a good long time thinking that she just needed to have a good cry.  (We all need a good cry sometimes, right?)  She calmed down and I thought to myself, maybe she's just tired?  She was awake early this morning.

I asked her what was wrong and she started sobbing again.  I held her closer thinking she just needed a few extra cuddles. THANKFULLY, tonight I took the time to cuddle her up and didn't dismiss her like I sometimes do when I'm caught in "the busy".

She finally composed herself and we started the shower. 

Mommy, are you dying?  Sally said you're dying.

UGH...instant stomach drop and heart racing and head pounding.  I thought I prepared myself for this!  Shortly after I was diagnosed, a survivor told me a similar story.  But, honestly, I'm growing hair back.  I'm going to workout with my girlfriends for the first time in six months.  I have been working nearly full time.  I didn't expect this question NOW.

Oh, Cami, I'm not dying.  Hopefully not for a very, very long time.  Is that why you were so upset when you walked in the house and saw me?  Honey, I'm here.  I'm fine.

And she hugged me the biggest, sweetest hug in the entire world. Good, Mommy.  I don't want you to die.

And I held back the tears long enough to wrap her tight, get her dressed, and escape to the spare bedroom and type this quick little reminder to listen with your heart.

Those precious little minds are always thinking, always turning, always wondering.  When you think to yourself  they're just tired, get it together.  Maybe, just maybe they're struggling with big, adult, life issues. 

Listen with your heart.

Getting a few extra cuddles in tonight.  Please join me.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment