Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Forever Friends

A couple months before I was diagnosed, I asked for prayers for one of my forever friends: http://publiclookin.blogspot.com/2013/02/praying-for-strong-lungs-and-bright.html

A few years ago, I celebrated one of her big moments with her: http://publiclookin.blogspot.com/2011/10/once-upon-time-there-were-two-white.html (Syn, you were married in 2011 since you can't remember;))

I think about Syndi often and we talk regularly, but we don't get to visit in person very often.  This visit she reminded me why I love her so much.  She reminded me what is so very important in any friendship.  There is a special bond that I share with my forever friends.  There is a reason why I get so excited when I get to hang out with the few people that actually "get" me AND still want to be my friend;)  Anyways, we were chatting and she stopped mid-conversation to tell me this:

Laura, I love talking to you.  You have opinions that I want to hear, even if they're different than mine.  I just love our conversations.

And that is the best compliment that I've had in a very long time. I am so fortunate to feel the same way when I'm with my forever friends. We can converse about difficult topics that we have different opinions on or sit in complete silence without feeling awkward or forced or judged.

I "bullied" Tam into coming home at the same time Syndi did.  At first she resisted my begging and pleading, but when I opened up to her and told her that I really needed her to come home, she started packing.  At the half way point of chemo, I was tired and needed a pick-me-up.  I needed the people that I can let down my guard to be there; to listen and laugh with. 

Sometimes we just assume that our friends and family know that we love them and value them.  We simply don't tell them that we love them and need them as often as we should.  Even when we make fun of their gray hair or out of control eyebrows or dirty volleyball feet, we love them.

Because they are

Forever friends.


White Star trip was one of the many fun things we did during the week full of friends.  Syndi, Tam, Andrea, Julie, Ben, Heather, Courtney, Aaron and LOTS of monsters invaded the beach.  The kids had a blast and the adults were able to visit. 

This kid is my fierce protector:


NOLAN!! Love him to pieces!




 
Who knew that tornado warnings could be so entertaining!?!

 
National Mojito Day!!  I'm not sure if Ash was making it up, but we went with it!!  Amy, Amanda and Krista came to play later, too!  Amanda and Krista brought a super awesome surprise from them and my church friends, but I'll write a post about that soon;) 



 
Lots of other fun was enjoyed, but I am consciously trying to put down my phone more often and enjoy the moment rather than try to capture it in pictures!  So very grateful to have such a loving support group!
 
Squeezed directly in the middle of out of state visits with friends was our 9th anniversary.  It's fitting to add a blurb about Aaron in my forever friends post since he is my best forever friend.  Even when I don't THINK he's listening, he is.  Even when he is trying NOT to listen, he is.   A few weeks before our anniversary, he mentioned that he had a surprise for me.  Did ya'll know that I don't like surprises? Anyways,  I tried for three weeks to get him to spill the beans, but he wouldn't.  Finally the day of our anniversary arrived and he asked if I would join him for a theatre performance.  The very same performance that we went to see on our honeymoon: "I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change". We enjoyed wonderful dinner conversation, found a high class Jojo's in Huron and whispered and giggled to each other during the performance...just like we did when we were newlyweds.
 
This man that shares a bed with me, he is one of the best around.   During times of trial, he is always at his very best.  I mean, he did smile the entire week during my friend invasion...oh, and I suppose he's been pretty AMAZING during this whole cancer thing;)  I'm proud to call him my best friend.

 
I was able to visit with Susan, Amy and Becky with our monsters in Becky's beautiful backyard.  I enjoyed a couple of my new favorite beers with Lindsay, Ash and Laura. **THANK YOU TARA, KORI and LINDSAY for the special deliveries.  Most of the Runion clan enjoyed a pizza party on the big deck. I wish we could squeeze in the Bennington's this week too, but it's time for the @#!)$*#%#) treatment again. 
 
Thanks to everyone that made time to visit this week.   The laughs and the tears are exactly what I needed to get me through the next couple treatments.
 
 
To my forever friends:
I love you.  You're perfect. 
Please DON'T change!
 
 
Bedtime!! Week of food, fun and friendship was exhausting!
 
Goodnight,


1 comment:

  1. Forever friends are the best! And u will always be a forever friend to me. Luv u, your perfect,....and I know u will NEVER change, so I don't need to worry bout that;)
    Love ya, Julie Ann

    ReplyDelete