Thursday, September 20, 2012

Protect your child

Guest post today!  My personal opinion: I don't necessarily feel that the school bus should have to stop at every single house. I just think it should be fair and consistent.  Don't stop for some and not for others, ya know?

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better. It's not." Dr. Suess


Friend and neighbor of mine, go:

How far would you go to protect your child? How far would you go to protect someone else’s child? 

Communities gather and support causes, especially children’s causes openly and unapologetic, in record numbers, whether it’s raising money for a child who is battling an incurable disease or purchasing raffle tickets for an Athletics fundraiser. 

What if you were told your child wasn’t worth the effort?

My story: My first child started Kindergarten this year and I was informed that she was designated a “Walker” to the school.  I was confused.  There are children who live closer to the school than my child with the same lack of sidewalk and safety issues as I have, and they are being picked up in their driveways and less than 10 feet away from their homes.  Yet my 5 year old is expected to walk in the street and it was recommended that she walk across private properties to get her safely to school, by the School District.

An offer was made for a bus stop for my child. I temporarily agreed to this location. However this location still requires my child to walk in the street and across private property to get to this location.

On September 18th, 2012 I approached the School Board and asked for a Bus Stop to be designated in front of my house.  According to their current Policies and Procedures in place, I could request an exception be made based on the safety conditions, terrain, age of student, traffic, and lack of sidewalk.  I did my research and presented a very thorough case to the School Board.  I even offered reasonable suggestions to help resolve any future fiscal nightmares when it comes to their current P&P regarding Student Transportation. So I wasn’t approaching them selfishly.

The immediate response was that my request is denied.

How could they put a value of ZERO on my child?

So I’m reaching out to my Community to let you know what is happening in your Community. 

The School District denied the safety of a 5 year old child.
The School District denied any door to door bus service.  – I have videos of said door to door service.
    Staff Member’s children are receiving this door to door service, as well as other
    members of this community’s children. 
The School District claims that they serve the best interest of all students and the District.
    Are your children receiving door to door service?
The School District claims that bus stops are limited.
    Why are they picking up students at one location and then stopping at a second location
    approximately 200 feet away to pick up more children?  Can’t those children walk those 200
    feet to limit the extra stop? Is it that there are no sidewalks and that is why these children are
    getting door to door service?  Or is it because the School District is offering Special Treatment to
    certain people and not others?
The School District claims when a funding issue arises the first thing they look at is busing.
The School District is not required to bus students grade nine through twelve. However, they shall provide busing grades K-8. 
    So why would they emphasize cutting busing in a meeting about a 5 year old?



The School District has passed up multiple opportunities to receive Federal Funding administered by ODOT to offset costs to the Taxpayer for improving Safety Conditions, i.e. sidewalks, crossings, and education.   $16 million dollars was dispersed in May for 68 projects ranging from $2,000 to $500,000.
http://www.dot.state.oh.us/news/Pages/Millions-Awarded-to-Local-Communities-Through-ODOT’S-.aspx

I ask you again….how far would you go to protect your child or someone else’s?  What is a child worth?

How much effort would it have taken for the School District to be compassionate and exercise reasonable care for my child?  3 minutes and a trip around the block.

Don’t you think there should be a fair and consistent standard?

Right is RIGHT, no matter how unpopular it is.

For more information contact
mrs.carabrown@yahoo.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment