Thursday, February 16, 2012

Invest in the Future

Currently we are working on obtaining life insurance.  I know, I know, we should already have this in place. Honestly, I work for an estate planning attorney and we don't even have Wills.  Yes, I'm working on that now too.  I guess it's time to be a grown up...since I am 30! So, soon (I set a deadline of March 1st for myself...it's in my planner- so it has to happen), my family will be protected financially and a guardian will be in place should something tragic happen.

While I'm investing in the "in case" future to protect my monsters, I thought I should take the time to research the right now and near future for my children.  There is an important vote that will play a huge roll in their lives that is quickly approaching. Unlike the life insurance quotes that we have been receiving, I don't get to compare the data sheets or have a representative look into other options if I don't like one or simply want a more in depth comparison.  I don't have an unlimited amount of new building funding representatives that I can contact, endless online resources or friends to compare the quotes with.

Instead, I have to look at the information provided by our school representatives. I need to make an informed decision based on the information they provide, outside information that I have gathered from the auditor's website and the state website, ask questions if I have them and show up on the day of the vote. 

Unfortunately, when it comes to the school levy and the necessity for a new school verses renovation, I don't have all of the answers.  Without relying on the information presented by the administration I can't answer questions like "Does the school need to be that big?" or "Why can't they renovate rather than build?", so I'm not going to try to answer them.  I don't know why everyone can't pay the same amount of taxes. I don't want to argue about why I believe that our community should support the levy.  I don't want to argue about the additional burden to the check book. I really don't care what it costs because I will vote yes regardless. BUT just so everyone knows that we will feel it, ours is estimated at $450 per year increase for both houses.

Even when I hear questions presented by a person that I hold the highest respect for, it doesn't make me want to join the levy campaign or debate with him.  I'm simply not motivated by political issues, but I wanted to take the time to tell you why I think this levy is important and necessary; why this investment makes all of our futures brighter.

I suppose I should also preface by stating that
 before and after I took the time to research the levy page: http://www.woodmore.k12.oh.us/dbuilding_levy.htm 
I am a YES vote.

To understand that the need is real, I trust my seven year old when she tells me that she's scared that the building is going to fall on her. Her fear is honest and somewhat warranted since many of  her friends have been moved out of their classes because they have been deemed unsafe and beams have been repaired.  I have walked the halls and viewed the virtual tour.  The need is real.  The band aids can only hold for so long and they are losing their adhesion quickly with each flood, each shingle knocked down, every hour the ancient boiler is running.  Simply put, the building is too old for renovation to be the answer.


I know that the maintenance and repairs on my own house (that was built in 1974) requires money and resources to maintain the structure.  The current elementary school was built in 1923! Even with the tons of money that would be necessary to provide a safe renovation, the structure would continue to require a high maintenance budget every year.  The flood problem alone is discouraging enough for me to vote yes.  I don't want to hope that the water was extracted timely and pray that mold doesn't grow due to the constant flooding condition. 


Personally, I want a school that is structurally sound, filled with caring teachers and up to date technology.  Children learn best in an environment that is safe and we owe it to them to provide this environment. The need is real, the time is now.  I'm ready to invest in the future, not just my "in case" future, but the right now future for the children...are you?

There is an important levy on the ballot on March 6th to build a new pre K - 8 school building. 
Vote YES! Invest in the Future!

Even if your opinion is different than mine...VOTE!  It's your right and honor!


No comments:

Post a Comment