Thursday, September 29, 2011

Friday's Friendly Fun

Luke 18:16-17
New International Version (NIV)

16 But Jesus called the children to him and said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 17 Truly I tell you, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it.”




Last weekend we had a few friends over. As one of the little girls was leaving, I told her that I would pick her up for Sunday school if she wanted to come. Jumping up and down she told me that she'd love to come! When I picked her up, her mom asked if we were staying for church. I told her yes, but I'd run her daughter home if she didn't want to stay with us. "No, Mom, I want to stay!"

The older girls went to their Bible study and I went to the preschool class with Camille. Her class was bare due to the Race for the Cure, but Cami and three handsome little boys listened intently to the Bible story. They were all so eager to learn and excited that one (even one that may have had too many adult beverages the night prior) couldn't help but to be inspired. After the lesson the adorable three and four year olds were all able to answer the questions about the lesson. The smiles and yelling from excitement with each answer and every question was motivating.

At Sunday school they are being prompted to ask questions and seek answers. What I was the most surprised with was what happened in church! Growing up I remember sitting in church and wanting nothing to do with the service. I would whisper and pass notes with my friends the entire service.

During the church service, the girls were all very quiet and well behaved, but that’s not the surprising part either! All three girls attended an hour Sunday school where they were expected to praise God and love Jesus. In church all that I expect out of my monsters is to be quiet and not make a scene! I don't care if they pay attention to the readings or the sermons yet, they're too young. Lilly is almost old enough to make her listen to the message, but I think she's grasping quite a bit for her age and while she is loving church and Sunday school, I don't want to test it!


The artwork used in this post was made by the girls during the church service. They weren't being prompted or pressed; I wasn't asking them about what they had learned in Sunday school. Rather than pass notes or draw pictures of soccer balls, they were excited about God! Lilly would show her friend what she wrote and vise versa. Then they would look at each other, give a thumbs up and huge smile to each other.

The genuine love and excitement for God that these sweet girls share is inspiring. Today I pray that all of us can love and trust God as our children do. Allow yourself to feel the excitement, hope and love in His word.

Happy Friday!

Inspire-Believe-Love...like a CHILD!

Matthew 18:3
New International Version (NIV)

3 And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."


No comments:

Post a Comment