Tuesday, May 7, 2013

At a Loss for Words...

Speechless really doesn't happen to me often, well, honestly, I can't remember many times when I've been speechless. I always have something to say.  Most of the time I don't really care if you want to hear it or not, I say it.

But the events over the last weekend, I really don't have any words for.  When Marci asked me to come over, first she tried to play it off like it was going to be just me and the kids to hang out.  I thought, "Ok, cool.  Aaron's going out with friends, I'd love to hang out with Marc." 

Then Tam texted me and said she was coming home so I asked Marci if Tam could come along and she responded: "Sure, invite your mom, too!"

Immediately, I knew they were surprising me.  I do NOT like surprises.  So, I got bitchy and said something along the lines of:"I know you're having a stupid hat party.  I wasn't born yesterday." 

They went along with it.  "Ok, fine, it's not a surprise and yes a few other people are coming."

I complained to the secretaries at my office that I had to go to a stupid hat party and I still want to throw my wig in the fire (AND AS SOON AS MY HAIR GROWS BACK, I MIGHT, but it would be more responsible to donate it, I suppose;)).

Except only a few people brought scarfs and nobody brought a hat! 

Instead, they brought this cute little tree that I recognized.  I made it for someone else when they were going through cancer treatment.  Only this time it was full of gift cards and VERY, VERY generous donations for ME.

The next day I opened the mail to even more VERY, VERY generous donations...from a couple of friends and people that I have never met before in my life.  People that are friends of friends that wanted to give.  There are many names on the giving tree that I don't know either.  COMPLETE STRANGERS compelled to give in the name of HOPE.

Humble-thankful-blessed-overwhelmingly grateful- these words do not even begin describe the way I feel right now. It is very difficult for me to be on this side of the giving tree.  When someone is having a hard time, I'm always ready and willing to help, but I've never been in the position where I'm the one in need.  

I remember when we gave the giving tree to Ash and Danny and Ash said to me that she doesn't know how she will ever be able to repay the kindness and love that was extended to them during their time in the wilderness.  I told her that she already was repaying everyone: witnessing her attitude, her faith, her smile, that's all the repayment we could ever ask for.  I told her that the next time someone is diagnosed with the stupid C word that they should share their story of triumph over trials and be there to support the next warrior.

I didn't know it would be me.

But it is and now I feel the same way.  How can I ever repay all the kindness we have received?  I have a basket overflowing with greeting cards from people spanning the entire United States.  I have blankets, scarfs, books, bags, pins, bracelets, gift cards, more than half of our insurance deductible PAID, socks and ribbons and hair pretties and journals and COOKIES AND CANDY AND CAKE (I will most likely be the rare patient that gains weight on chemo!!!).  So many reminders of all of the love that is surrounding me and my family during this trial.

And I just don't know if I will ever be able to explain how incredibly grateful we feel to have such an amazing support group.

For once, I am at a loss for words, but with all the love I have to give and from the bottom of my heart:

THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!





 
We spent the beautiful weekend outside and we played hard!! 
Sleeping beauty cuddled with Mommy: Camille


 
Lilly and I read books on the porch
 
Keegers helped plant flowers (Aaron thinks the bush that Jill Bench donated is already growing!!) all day and fell asleep doing a breathing treatment:
 
 Some of the cute things we received this weekend.  LOVE the personalization you picked, Sherry;)
 
Loved working shorter hours last week...lots of extra time to cuddle my monsters

 
Spiritual Retreat with Aaron and many of my favs from church

 
Feeling 100% today...just in time for the next treatment.  I have tugged on my hair a couple times and it's staying in there.  Might get to push the head shaving back a couple days!!  Chemo tomorrow.  Hope and pray that I tolerate all of the treatments as well as the first!

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment