Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Not Alone

Not alone.

 

“How do you do it?”  …..  “I could never do what you do!” ……  



These are statements that fall on my ears almost daily. As if I am some sort of super hero or worse, something foreign or weird.   Believe me when I say I am a far cry from a super hero. I promise I am human (which I guess can make me a little weird at times).  With my human status comes all kinds of traits: I love/I dislike, I hug/I push, I comfort/I yell, I’m happy/I get mad, and many, many more, more that I am sure we all have at some point possessed.   I used to answer those questions and comments with “I don’t know” or “I often wonder the same thing myself”.    



See here recently (1 year, 6 months and 11 days ago, but who’s counting), my life changed dramatically.  My husband and I took a leap of faith and completed the process to become licensed foster/adoptive parents.  We started with the intention of just adopting; we too had similar feelings that may be creeping up on you just at the word foster.  Take in a child and then just give it back??   How could I ever do that?  Well after completing the training, our minds shifted gears. That is one of the human traits I am thankful for: the ability to change my mind.  


We found out the alarming need for foster families and our hearts changed. At the time we became approved to foster, we were home number 10 for Sandusky Co.  Believe me when I tell you the need is WAY WAY WAY WAY bigger than 10!!   I think a few more have been added since, but still nowhere near enough.  So we decided to take a risk and switch to just foster and respite (baby sit for other foster parents).  We received a call to do a weekend respite for a brother(3)/sister(6) pair a few weeks before receiving our license.   


Holy crap!  I fell head over heels for those little duckies. My heart screamed loud and clear, THESE WILL BE YOUR KIDS ONE DAY!!!!   This can’t be happening to me, I don’t know anything about them, they could be headed back to their parents, they could have family stepping up, their foster parents could also feel like I do, who wouldn’t?  “Self, calm down, trust the system, they will get the best home for them”.    


Then a little over a month and a few turn downs later, we accepted our foster placement: an almost 6 year old little girl and her 4 year old brother.   *Side note, if this is a journey you ever decide to start, know exactly what you will and can accept and handle.  We knew with both of us working full time we could not give proper care to a baby or a child with special needs.  School age was our calling and we stuck to it.  A well thought out placement is less likely to be disrupted (children removed from your home).*  Three months later we received the call that their older sister, then 7, could no longer stay with the family member that was trying to help.  


 In the mean time, the first two duckies  from the respite stay were still weighing heavy on my heart.  They were coming to visit any chance I had to have them with us. 


And there you have it- BAM!! Family of 3, (me, my husband, and my 10 year old son) now a family of 8!!!   1 year, 6 months and 11 days after official license date here I stand, here WE stand.  We are in the process of adopting the 2 from respite and still going strong fostering a sibling group of three.  


I don’t know what is going to happen to them, but I do know the time they have and will spend with me has been nothing less than amazing.  I believe I have learned more from all of them than any schooling or class could ever teach, and I can only hope they have learned just as much.


How do I do it?   I finally learned the answer to this mysterious question.  And you know what...I don’t!  At least not alone.  


WE do it.  We, being the support system I am surrounded by. A support system I am oh so thankful for. A system that I have seen fail for too many people.  My kids' parents love their children; they didn’t choose the sour life that fell upon them.  No one wakes up and says “Hey, I think I will become a drug addict today” or “you know today is a good day to not provide for my kids”.  

 

People often wonder how I can stick up for them, the kids' parents?  Well, I have seen the desperate look in their eyes.  I have even been told “Thank you, you are the only person that has ever made me feel like I can do this and get better”. ME??  The only person!  How can this be?  Where was her support system?  


Well, I met them, her support system, not too long ago...at her funeral.  Most of her "support system people" were still floating on the same boat she sadly fell from. They were suffering from a vicious cycle that is plaguing our community.  A cycle that needs to be broken!  A cycle that no one can defeat alone.


Embrace your system, nurture it.   I don’t and could never be a biological, foster, adoptive, whatever label you want to throw in front of it, parent, alone.   We do it.  


Me, my amazing husband, our parents, our siblings, their spouses, our nieces, our cousins, our friends, the school system, the day care, the 4H leaders, the coaches, the church, the neighbors, the grocery store clerk or waitress that always compliments them and smiles so sweetly, and so forth.   I could go on forever, as long as I am not alone. If you ever feel like you don’t have a support system, become someone’s, chances are you already are.  No one can do it alone.   Together we can do anything!! Together, our community can rise above and break this cycle.  


Sincerely,  


A thankful Momma Duck of 6



(P.s.  to anonymous community member, your selfless gift brought up a conversation where I learned 2 of my duckies have never even been to a theater before!!!  Oh the joy they all will receive brings tears to my eyes)

No comments:

Post a Comment