Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Cancer Sucks Post # 480

A couple of weeks ago I emailed a friend to check in on her, but when I authored the email the purpose was to check on her daughter. She leads a very active life working full time and chasing her children from this event to the next. Months had passed since I had talked to her last, but I couldn't get her off my mind so I thought I would drop her a few lines to check in with her. Her response to me was that her daughter was going to be fine, yet she recently received a cancer diagnosis. She has to have a major surgery soon. She is young and healthy! She exercises regularly, eats her yucky veggies and protein filled almonds. She actually schedules and makes it to her annual exams...annually! A couple weeks ago she was getting frustrated with her children for not cleaning their rooms, now she fights for her life.

Yesterday one of my friends sat in the hospital filled with fear of the unknown. What were they going to find in her Daddy? How bad is bad? Then he had a stroke on the table...REALLY? A cancer diagnosis isn't enough?

Down the hall, in the same hospital is another friend visiting her mother...also undergoing cancer treatment.

A little over a month ago a little girl was cranky and more tired than normal, had a fever and said her tummy hurt. My children have these same symptoms all the time! A couple of doctor appointments and blood work and she's been in the hospital ever since. As I write she has been in the hospital for 28 days receiving potent chemo. To read about her courageous fight and follow as she (and her amazing parents) inspires all of us, click here


As you watch your loved ones fight, as you empathize with your friends as they support their parent, as you imagine how you would react if you just received the same news as a friend, or as the tears stream down your face just thinking of sweet little Isabelle, it is difficult not to feel helpless. I wish I could take on even a little piece of the worry or the doubt for the people at the top of my prayer chain right now. I wish I could explain why these young, healthy people are undergoing extensive, painful surgeries. I would like to be able to assure them that everything is going to be alright. I want to have the perfect words to tell them that God has a plan.

Yet, I know that even the most eloquent words will not take away the doubt that creeps in as you sit in the hospital room fighting the unknown. I know that the most thoughtful and perfect gift doesn't take the pain away when you're enduring the treatments or make the clock spin faster as you wait for the day of surgery to arrive. When I feel helpless and really just want to take some of the pain away I know that I can't.

I can tell you that I'm here for you in whatever capacity you need. I pray for you each morning and night. God's love is real. When you are scared, when you're tired, when you're doubting, open up your heart and let Him in. Let Him fill you up with love and restore your faith. Always know that you are in my prayers and I am here.

Today I'm remembering to take the time to hear the music. Last night I was frustrated as I paged through facebook. These four families, the ones at the top of my prayer list this week, are only the beginning of my prayer list that seems to grow and grow. When I read some of the complaint posts last night about things that really don't matter I wanted to scream: HEAR THE MUSIC! Instead, I will pray that they will let God in and feel His love, too.

SLOW DANCE (Anonymous author - Possibly
written by a six year old girl with terminal cancer in a New York Hospital)

Have you ever watched kids
On a merry-go-round?
Or listened to the rain
Slapping on the ground?
Ever followed a butterfly's erratic flight?
Or gazed at the sun into the fading night?
You better slow down.
Don't dance so fast.
Time is short.
The music won't last.

Do you run through each day
On the fly?
When you ask "How are you?"
Do you hear the reply?
When the day is done
Do you lie in your bed
With the next hundred chores
Running through your head?
You'd better slow down
Don't dance so fast.
Time is short.
The music won't last.

Ever told your child,
We'll do it tomorrow?
And in your haste,
Not see his sorrow?
Ever lost touch,
Let a good friendship die
Cause you never had time
To call and say "Hi"?
You'd better slow down.
Don't dance so fast.
Time is short.
The music won't last.

When you run so fast to get somewhere
You miss half the fun of getting there.
When you worry and hurry through your day,
It is like an unopened gift....
Thrown away.
Life is not a race.
Do take it slower
Hear the music
Before the song is over

CANCER SUCKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment