Tuesday, October 28, 2014

4 Years and I Still Smell Your Cologne




Cologne, when worn by a person forever, becomes their scent.  My dad wore Obsession by Calvin Klein.  I still have a bottle in my medicine cabinet.  I don't need to open the lid to smell it though, I just have to close my eyes and concentrate.

Concentrate on times that he was SO mad at me. When you're mad, you perspire and it makes your cologne stronger:)

Concentrate on times, even as an adult, that he would tell me to climb on the chair to sit with him.

Concentrate on times, that make me anxiously wait for my kids to break a window so that I can make them paint a picnic table TOGETHER as punishment.

Daily and I don't need to concentrate on times that Keegan looks at me and tells me "no". Or gives this crooked grin daring me to TRY to make him listen and I roll my eyes into the sky because I know my dad is LOVING this payback.

Or times like last night when I sent some of my family the recording of me singing (attached) to my dad on the way home from work last night and Heid responds with this:

"I was looking at the sky tonight and the clouds were cracked open letting beautiful Rays of sunshine pour through.  I always get the feeling that it's a sneak peak of heaven bursting out.  Now I'm pretty confident that was for that beautiful song you were singing to your daddy.  Thanks so much for sharing it.  My heart needed that too.  Oh to see those long knobby knees saunter up and kiss you leaving his good smelling cologne behind.  Just one more time. Or maybe one hundred.  To hear his voice bursting with pride... for all of your strength... Accomplishments....and to see him love on and brag on all those babies...I love you all... And am sending extra love up to heaven tonight for you Uncle Markie!!!!"

http://youtu.be/rOWM94Qb63c
*I was driving and singing, so ignore the car noises!* And thanks for the back-up, Sarah McLachlan;)

ALWAYS on times when I need to call you.  When I'm scared or happy, confident or humble, alone by myself or alone in a crowd of people.

We all miss you dearly.


 Daddy's Girl,






No comments:

Post a Comment