Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Relay for Life



June 13th, 2014 is the Relay for Life.

Most of this post is a re-post from the last couple years. Bold print is used for the 2014 additions.
Nothing has changed, but so much has changed at the same time.  More people have been added to the list of survivors, fighters and loved ones remembered.  I advocate for and proudly wear my badge on the list of fighters.  Yet, thinking of the walk brings all of the same emotions back.

My biggest fear is now reality.   http://publiclookin.blogspot.com/2012/06/biggest-fear.html

Relay Day:

It is both a day that I anticipate and dread.

It is a reminder that people win the fight! The survivor lap is proof. All cancer survivors take a lap together and wear a different colored shirt in honor of their fight. When they take their lap so many thoughts flood my mind. I think about walking over to my friends workplace to give her a prayer shawl and how beautiful she looked that day despite her fears. Tears start to form as I think about the time that I stopped by Heidi's house and she opened the door without her wig on. It makes me smile to think of when Cheryl and Jess realized at bunco that they endured treatment together so many years ago and joked about how they look much different with hair and color in their skin! How difficult it must have been for Jess to move away when her Dad was still completing his treatment regimen. I vividly remember when Amy called to tell me that Danny had lung cancer. I wish Amanda didn't have the scars to prove she's a survivor. I wish Matt didn't have to have a Happy Cancer Day! I think about how they fought so hard and won! Through the treatments, the hair loss, the damaged vocal chords, the tattooed eyebrows, the new boobies, the doctors appointments and so much more. I can't even fathom what it is going through their minds!

It is a reminder of sweet, handsome Connor who is currently fighting the dreaded C word. He is already a warrior and he's only 9 (He's 11 now;))! How his loving parents have to explain why and what is going on with his body. "He's had good days and bad days. Mouth sores, nerve pain and nausea. There was about ten days straight that I think he threw up at least once a day." -Sarah, Connor's Mom You can follow the rest of his treatment here: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/connorrequena And CONTINUE TO pray for him daily.

It is a reminder of the very powerful bond that was created when I went over to drop off a little love to Rhiannon when she was having her hair shortened.   A reminder of her strength as she continues to fight. 

It is a reminder of a friends dad who lived so much longer than his stated odds. That lived his life to treasure each moment.  That smiled every chance he got, rode his motorcycle when he was able and cherished his time with his family.  Always kept his faith in our Lord above.  Who we laid to rest last year and celebrated his life.

It is a reminder that it doesn't get any easier when I hear about a friend that has to watch their parent grow weak and pray for miracles because I know the pain that they are experiencing too well.  It is a reminder that they too can beat this disease and to never give up hope. {Cheri Miller}

A reminder of a couple new friends that are so very strong, supportive and loving that I wouldn't have in my life without this stupid disease.  I am proud to call them my friends and even more proud of the way they are fighting.  I hope they know that I pray for them daily. Angie and Christy, keep kicking ass.

A reminder that I have bonds with my cousin and aunt that go beyond the regular family bond and into sisterhood.  I am so thankful for their constant love, advice and support.  I am so proud of how my aunt has endured her surgeries and treatment with an attitude of gratitude rather than bitterness.

It is a reminder of medical terms and brain mets. Out of town visitors and meaningful time with family. Hospice rooms and final goodbyes.

It is a reminder that eventually I'll have to visit the funeral home again because of cancer until the cure is found.

It is a reminder of the deadly disease that stole my dad, Tammy's mom, Andrea's mom, Heather D's dad, Heather J's dad, Melissa's Mom so many, too many.

As I zoomed by my one year mark, it is a constant reminder of the roller coaster ride that I will never step off of.  The anxiety when my body aches or as an appointment approaches is something I never anticipated.

But is also a reminder of HOPE.

Hope that I see every day in my children. In the unexpected and unexplainable gifts that I have received. The never ending prayers and eased burdens and shared stories and just pure love that you all continue to share with me.

Hope for the cure so my babies can walk only to celebrate, not to remember.


With tears in my eyes, I hope for a cure. I hope that each day I make my Dad smile down at me at least once. I hope that those that are battling find comfort in His promises to us. I hope that the survivors know how proud I am of them.

I hope for miracles.
I hope for a cure.


 Remember. Love. Hope.

If you would like to donate or dedicate a luminary, you can visit my relay page:

http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR?fr_id=57440&pg=personal&px=20235573

TOO MANY LUMINARIES.  WE NEED A CURE!

Everyone I know has been touched by cancer, either through their own personal battle or through someone they love. Recently losing my father after a long fight against the disease and watching the disease progress, I know how important this cure is. I am participating in the event not only in memory of my dad, Mark Runion, but in memory of Sharon Destazio, Jim Waganfeald, Tom Burdge, Deb Tobias, Paul Wargacki, Tammy Reichert and Debbie Dell and in honor of Julie Kern, Heidi Frantz, Cheryl Helmke, Jessica Fork, Paul Thibodeau, Becky Kayden, Julie Malcolm, Danny DeVito, Connor Requena, Amanda McNamee, Meaghann Kennedy, Matt Hammer, Rhiannon Lynch, Angie Durnwald, Christy Miller, Cheri Miller, Deb Frankenhauser and all of the others that have fought or are fighting for their life! On the night of our walk, please know that a candle is buring for each of you and as the many people pass by they will read your name and think of you or your loved one and their fight. The final luminiria I dedicated was simple and the most meaningful to me: IN SUPPORT OF THE CURE.



XOXO,
 

1 comment:

  1. Laura, I was the recipient of your beautiful gift at Taussig yesterday during my first chemo treatment. I love the book, the and the quilt with all the scripture on it was answer to prayer. Feel free to find me on facebook if you want- Sarah Cawley- and I also have a blog that started back with my youngest daughter's diagnosis 3 years ago www.jascawleyfamily.blogspot.com. Thank you so much for passing your inspiration along!

    ReplyDelete